Wavefunctions space in Quantum Physics

In summary, a week ago a Professor mentioned the concept of Hilbert spaces as a vector space with a scalar product, and the completion of a preHilbert space results in a Hilbert space. It is important to note that not all Hilbert spaces are infinite dimensional, and that they must first be Banach spaces. The concept of separability was also brought up, and it was mentioned that the proof can be found in a book on functional analysis. It was also noted that the body of scalars in a Hilbert space can be any field, not just the complex field. Finally, it was explained that showing the dimension is countable is sufficient to prove separability.
Palindrom
Well, a week ago my Professor said the space of quantum physical states was a Hilbert space. Thing is, he just said it, and moved on.
So I have a vector space with a scalar product. Is it, indeed, Hilbert? That is, is it complete?
I guess I'll see the answer next semester, in real functions analysis or sth., but I'm kinda curious, so thanks in advance for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Palindrom said:
Well, a week ago my Professor said the space of quantum physical states was a Hilbert space. Thing is, he just said it, and moved on.
So I have a vector space with a scalar product. Is it, indeed, Hilbert? That is, is it complete?
I guess I'll see the answer next semester, in real functions analysis or sth., but I'm kinda curious, so thanks in advance for your answers.

A finite/infinite dimensional vector space on the vectors of which u define an application from the direct product of the space with itself into the body of scalars on which you build the vector space is called a preHilbert space.
The scalar product is a sesquilinear application which can allow to structure the vector space as a topological vector space,on which u can define a metric and a norm Completion wrt to the norm of a preHilbert space defines a Hilbert space.

Palindrom said:
This is correct, but more specifically, it is an infinite dimensional Hilbert space.

It is a Hilbert Space, only if it is complete with respect to the norm. So, to be a Hilbert Space, it must first be a Banach Space.

A common misconception is that all Hilbert Spaces are infinite dimensional. This is not true. For instance, any n-dimensional Euclidean Space with the usual dot product is a Hilbert Space.

Well, you toss out solutions which don't belong to the Hilbert space, so it'll be complete. I guess the world only allows solutions in the Hilbert space. Also normalization may not be to unity, but the dirac-delta function.

First of all, thanks to you all.
Now, another question: I was told today that it is also separable. Is L_2 indeed separable? Can you show me the densed group in it?

Palindrom said:
First of all, thanks to you all.
Now, another question: I was told today that it is also separable. Is L_2 indeed separable? Can you show me the densed group in it?

This is tricky.Requires that bunch of functional analysis which i find horrible.I myself,as a physicist,will never attempt to give demonstrations on delicate matters of topology.[itex] L^{2} (R^{n}) [/itex] is separable,and the proof is to be found in a serious book on functional analysis.I don't know the poof,and I'm not interested in why [itex] L^{2} (R^{n}) [/itex] is separable.It's important for QM that it is separable.A mathematician proved it.I have a hunch it was von Neumann,but I'm not sure.And i won't look for it,as this is just one from the many more other results from mathematics that a physicst uses,but it would not help him a lot to find "why is that??"."Why" is a question for mathematicians.If we physicist would have to come up with the proofs for every mathematical result he uses,then mathematicians would be useless,as we physicists would be making the mathematics.

Daniel.

PS.If u're really interested,maybe one of the mathematicians on this forum would pin point to a book where u can find the proof,that,of course,if he does not give you the proof in a post in this thread.I think,among the physics books that i know of,u have a chance of finding it in Prugoveçki's book/bible:"Quantum Mechanics in Hilbert Space".

PPS:Dense subset,not subgroup.

Should it be noted that Hilbert space is complex?

Loren Booda said:
Should it be noted that Hilbert space is complex?
It's irrelevant whether it's real or complex.It could be quternions,even. :wink: It's just a body of scalars...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It's irrelevant whether it's real or complex.It could be quternions,even. :wink: It's just a body of scalars...
They say field in english. We too in France say body. There is no real confusion possible between the "field" algebraic structure and the physicist's field which is a function, or a generalization of it.

humanino said:
They say field in english. We too in France say body. There is no real confusion possible between the "field" algebraic structure and the physicist's field which is a function, or a generalization of it.

Thank you! :wink: This was a really useful post from u.Useful to me,as i had wondered for about 2 months on how to say in English "corp",else than "body". :biggrin:

Daniel.

Palindrom said:
Can you show me the densed group in it?
It is sufficient to show that there is a countable basis, that is : that the dimension is countable. For instance, the set [tex]\left\{v_n : n \in \mathbb{Z}\right\}[/tex] with [tex]v_n(x) = \exp^{2\pi \imath nx}[/tex] forms an orthonormal basis of the complex space [tex]L^2([0,1])[/tex].

From Wikepdia :
A Hilbert space is separable if and only if it admits a countable orthonormal basis.

humanino said:
It is sufficient to show that there is a countable basis, that is : that the dimension is countable. For instance, the set [tex]\left\{v_n : n \in \mathbb{Z}\right\}[/tex] with [tex]v_n(x) = \exp^{2\pi \imath nx}[/tex] forms an orthonormal basis of the complex space [tex]L^2([0,1])[/tex].

From Wikepdia :
Merci :smile:

And thanks a lot, dex.

1. What is a wavefunction in quantum physics?

A wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a particle. It contains information about the probability of finding a particle at a certain location, as well as its momentum and energy.

2. What is the significance of wavefunction space?

Wavefunction space is the mathematical space in which all possible wavefunctions for a given system exist. It is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles on a quantum level and make predictions about their behavior.

3. How is wavefunction space related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that we cannot know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. In wavefunction space, this is reflected by the fact that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we know its momentum, and vice versa.

4. Can the wavefunction of a particle change over time?

Yes, the wavefunction of a particle can change over time. This is known as wavefunction evolution and is governed by the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics.

5. How is wavefunction space used in practical applications?

Wavefunction space is used in a variety of practical applications, such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum simulations. It is also essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in quantum systems, which has many potential technological and scientific implications.