Waveguide modes relative power

In summary: Your Name]In summary, David is seeking assistance with his Fortran 90 code for modeling a multi-mode symmetrical slab waveguide. He is experiencing issues with the relative intensity of the modes and suspects that it may be due to incorrect usage of the amplitude constants. He is requesting help from anyone with experience in this area and is willing to share his code for review.
DaveCunnah
I am attempting to model a multi-mode symmetrical slab waveguide using Fortran 90. I am able to produce plots of each optical mode and am then summing them but I am more or less convinced that the relative intensity of the modes is incorrect. I am fairly sure that the error is arising because I am mis-using the amplitude constants which describe the electric field inside and out of the waveguide. Anybody with any experience oin this who could offer me assistance please let me know and I can get you a copy of the code for your attention.

Many thanks,

David Cunnah

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear David,

I have experience with modeling multi-mode symmetrical slab waveguides using Fortran 90 and I would be happy to assist you with your issue. One possible reason for the incorrect relative intensity of the modes could be the incorrect use of the amplitude constants as you mentioned. These constants play a crucial role in determining the electric field inside and outside of the waveguide, and any errors in their usage could result in incorrect results.

I would suggest checking your code carefully and ensuring that the amplitude constants are being used correctly for each mode. It may also be helpful to refer to any relevant literature or resources on multi-mode waveguides to ensure that your code is following the correct approach.

If you are able to provide me with a copy of your code, I would be happy to take a look and offer any suggestions or corrections. Additionally, it may be helpful to provide more information about your specific setup and the plots you have obtained so far to better understand the issue.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to assisting you further.

Hi David,

I am familiar with the challenges of modeling multi-mode waveguides using Fortran 90. It is important to accurately calculate the relative power of each mode in order to accurately predict the overall behavior of the waveguide. Your suspicion that the error is stemming from misusing the amplitude constants is likely correct. These constants describe the electric field inside and outside of the waveguide, and they are essential in determining the relative power of each mode.

I would suggest reviewing your code and double-checking the calculations for these constants. It may also be helpful to compare your results with those from other sources or to consult with other researchers who have experience with multi-mode waveguide modeling. It is always beneficial to have a second set of eyes on a complex problem like this.

I am happy to take a look at your code and offer any further assistance I can. Please feel free to send it to me for review. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is a waveguide mode?

A waveguide mode is a specific pattern of electromagnetic waves that travels through a waveguide, a structure designed to guide and confine the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

2. How is relative power measured in waveguide modes?

Relative power is measured by comparing the power of a specific waveguide mode to the total power transmitted through the waveguide. This is typically expressed as a percentage or in decibels (dB).

3. What factors affect the relative power of waveguide modes?

The relative power of waveguide modes can be affected by various factors, such as the shape and dimensions of the waveguide, the frequency of the electromagnetic waves, and any obstructions or imperfections in the waveguide.

4. How does the number of waveguide modes affect the relative power?

The number of waveguide modes present in a waveguide can affect the relative power by creating interference patterns that can amplify or cancel out certain modes. This can result in changes in the total power and the relative power of different modes within the waveguide.

5. How can the relative power of waveguide modes be optimized?

The relative power of waveguide modes can be optimized by carefully designing the waveguide to minimize any obstructions or imperfections and to promote the desired waveguide modes. Additionally, using specialized materials and shape optimization techniques can also help improve the relative power of certain modes.