What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in a stationary wave?

In summary, the relationship between wavelength (L) and frequency (f) is given by the equation L = c/f, where c is the velocity of the waves. In the case of a stationary wave, the two waves creating the standing wave have opposite velocities, but their frequencies and wavelengths are still related by the above equation. It is not correct that a stationary wave has no velocity, as it is caused by two waves traveling at the same velocity in opposite directions. The number of cycles per meter is related to the wavenumber divided by 2*pi, and the reciprocal of frequency is the period, which is not the same as wavelength. Removing the source of vibration from the free end would cause the standing wave to disappear. The speed
hotel
Hi
what is the relation between wavelength (L) and frequency (f) ?
I know that

L = c/f

but if we have a stationary wave with no velocity (c), can we express wavelength with:

L = 1/f ?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hotel said:
Hi
what is the relation between wavelength (L) and frequency (f) ?
I know that

L = c/f

but if we have a stationary wave with no velocity (c), can we express wavelength with:

L = 1/f ?
it is NOT correct that a stationary wave has no velocity. a stationary wave is caused by 2 waves traveling with the same velocity v in opposite directions. thus, for each separate wave:
(frequency f)*(wavelength L) = (velocity v)
the above equation IS the relationship between f and L

frequency has units (1/sec) and wavelength has units (meters). it is not correct that L = f-1.

why frequency must be inverse function of time ? It can be inverse function of space as well I think, like f = 1/meter (number of cycles per meter)?!

If stationary waves have opposite velocities then practically they should cancel each other and the resultant velocity will be zero!

In my case, I have an steady state problem, where waves are function of space and not function of time. I don't think it make sense to use c when waves are not time dependent.

If L=1/f is not correct, how do we find the wavelength ?

( L=1/f seems to be the right answer, while I thought more about it since I posted the message)

hotel said:
why frequency must be inverse function of time ? It can be inverse function of space as well I think, like f = 1/meter (number of cycles per meter)?!

If stationary waves have opposite velocities then practically they should cancel each other and the resultant velocity will be zero!

In my case, I have an steady state problem, where waves are function of space and not function of time. I don't think it make sense to use c when waves are not time dependent.

If L=1/f is not correct, how do we find the wavelength ?

( L=1/f seems to be the right answer, while I thought more about it since I posted the message)

so that we can better understand your comments, please post your actual problem and your work so far in solving it.

the number of cycles per meter is the wavenumber divided by 2*pi. :bugeye:

:shy:

the reciprocal of frequency is period, which I'm sure you knew. and it should be clear that that period is not the same thing as wavelength.

also note that what's causing the standing wave is that there is something causing one end to vibrate, which sends a pulse through the medium (string) to the wall, the pulse reflects at this boundary with a 180-degree phase-shift, and this travels back to the original end. now, the wave is a standing wave because the frequency at which the free end is vibrating is such that it's sending out a pulse that happens to meet up with a reflected pulse at a certain point on the string.

(the easiest example is if they meet at the middle. then it's the entire length of the string that becomes a single wavelength of the standing wave.)

anyway, if you remove the source of vibration from the free end, you'd lose your standing wave!

despite the appearance of no motion, there actually is motion going on--you're just seeing the superposition (sum) of all the waves that are going back and forth along the string!

and you can find the speed of a single pulse traveling on that string that is creating that standing wave:

it's the frequency that the free end is vibrating with multiplied by the wavelength.

...i hope this helps you!

and now for a completely random smilie: :!)

Last edited:
thanks for your help :smile:

you are right, and I did a mistake about the wavelength.

So it seems that it is impossible to find wavelength from frequency, phase and amplitude without knowing some kind of velocity !

I hope this time I am on the write track !

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: speed of light = wavelength x frequency.

How do wavelength and frequency affect the properties of light?

Wavelength and frequency determine the properties of light such as its color and energy. Shorter wavelengths correspond to higher frequencies, which result in light with more energy and a higher color frequency (e.g. blue light). Longer wavelengths correspond to lower frequencies, resulting in light with less energy and a lower color frequency (e.g. red light).

What is the unit of measurement for wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength is typically measured in meters (m), while frequency is measured in hertz (Hz). However, other units such as nanometers (nm) and megahertz (MHz) are also commonly used for these measurements.

How are wavelength and frequency related to the electromagnetic spectrum?

Wavelength and frequency are key parameters in the electromagnetic spectrum, which is a range of all the different types of electromagnetic radiation. As the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases, and the energy of the radiation also increases. This spectrum includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

What factors can affect the wavelength and frequency of light?

The speed of light is a constant, so the wavelength and frequency of light are primarily affected by the medium through which it travels. For example, light travels slower in materials such as water or glass, resulting in a shorter wavelength and lower frequency. Additionally, the energy source that produces the light can also affect its wavelength and frequency.