1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength and information.

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
    What kind of electromagnetic radiation can carry more information?. I mean, what is the relation between shorter or longer wavelength and the information that can go within.

I wonder how the dynamics of this proccess works, considering that sound waves also can carry information, as well every single radiation that we can analize , but in terms of capacity or type of information... that's my point.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2

K^2

Science Advisor

You can send more information per second using shorter wavelengths. But the cause is high frequency, rather than the wavelength itself.

4. Jun 24, 2010 #3
    So Gamma radiation sends more information than radiowaves? Or there's another kind of paremeter for measuring information?

5. Jun 24, 2010 #4

K^2

Science Advisor

Per unit time, yes, you could send a lot more information in gamma than in radio. Hypothetically speaking, of course. No conceivable device can operate on required frequencies.

6. Jun 29, 2010 #5
    That's absolutely correct.

Expanding a bit though - think of sending Morse code (or binary information). You have to distinguish between an 'on' state and an 'off' state of a carrier wave.

Unfortunately, you can't suddenly 'shut off' a wave, it has to be wound down over a number of cycles. Your nice sharp on/off's become smeared out wave 'packets'. (there are lots of theoretical subtleties in that statement - I'm just giving the bare-bones idea).

You can see that each packet needs to be at least a few cycles long to be distinguishable as a packet. A higher carrier frequency allows you to squeeze more packets into a given time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook