1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength diagram

1. May 27, 2013 #1
    Hey

I have to find a diagram that shows the difference in wavelength intensity between a blueshift and a redshift. I've searched for a while but all the diagrams I find are pretty awful. If anyone knows any that decent ones would you mind linking it below? All I can find is the colour spectrum but it doesn't show anything in terms of the intensity.

Thankyou
    Regards,
    Grove1996

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I don't think that "intensity" is the word you are looking for. A shift won't change the intensity of the light (one ray can't become four).

A single "blue photon" carries more energy than a "red photon", maybe that is what you are thinking of?

4. May 28, 2013 #3
    Yes that it is. Sorry for the mistake haha, I'm still new to the topic.

5. May 28, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

So, we've sorted that out. :wink:

Next, are you really looking for a diagram? Maybe you mean "formula"?

In case you are really wondering where does that extra energy come from, the extra energy carried by a blue ray which used to be a white ray? I don't know the mechanism.

6. May 28, 2013 #5
    This sounds like you need to qualitatively diagram a red and blue shift. So the first thing you need to do is figure out what causes these shifts? Draw a source and an observer with some arbitrary wavelength of radiation emanating from the source. Now ask yourself what has to happen to cause a shift in the wavelength as seen by the observer without altering the actual wavelength of radiation coming from the source?

I might be misunderstanding the question but that is my take on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted