1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength divided by degree?

1. Dec 1, 2014 #1
    Hi

If c(velocity)/f(frequency) = wavelength
    and 1/f(frequency) * 6 = degrees
    What does Wavelength/degree mean??

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I suspect that "6" is an approximation of 2π.

4. Dec 2, 2014 #3
    No

I think 6 is the right number to find the degree. It's based on 6 degrees is 1 second.

regards

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  5. Dec 2, 2014 #4
    You could write the full problem or description rather that expecting people to guess what are you talking about.

6. Dec 2, 2014 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi bitencrypt. That's a novel connection indeed! Full marks for originality, at least. Can I guess you are in early high school?

There are 60 seconds in a minute, and 60 minutes in a degree, these all being angular measures. Not to be confused with time measures co-incidently bearing the same name. .:oldcool:

7. Dec 3, 2014 #6
    Hi

360 degrees / 60 = 60 seconds / 60 = 1 second.
    therefore, there are 6 degrees in 1 second (6 * 60 = 360)
    1/f(frequency) = cycle time * 6 = degrees.
    And c(velocity)/f = wavelength

regards

8. Dec 3, 2014 #7
    You may be talking about the motion of a clock's arms. Maybe the second arm. But in this case the wavelength has no connection.
    You should start by describing the system you are talking about before you throw some random formulas. It is really unreasonable to expect people to read your mind.

9. Dec 3, 2014 #8

NascentOxygen

Unfortunately, some of your mathematical expressions will mean nothing to anyone here; they are invalid. There is a basic universal restriction to only one equals sign in an algebraic equation. There is no such thing as a progressive equation, or whatever it is you seem to have invented. Please rewrite your expressions so they are valid equations. Observing sound mathematical rigor is a good habit to get into earlier rather than later---I presume you have at least some interest in science, anyway, to have found your way to this forum.

Also, I suggest using the words "arcseconds" and "arcminutes" when referring to angular measures, so there is no temptation to equate them to measures of time.

10. Dec 3, 2014 #9

russ_watters

Also, use complete units. The 360 deg / 60 should probably be (360 deg/rev) / (60 sec/rev), for example. Then you won't end up with unitless numbers and unit mismatches.

11. Dec 3, 2014 #10

Drakkith

I'm also wondering what the OP is talking about.

Standard angular measurements in degrees:
    360 degrees / 60 = 6 degrees.
    1 degree / 60 = 1 arcminute
    1 arcminute / 60 = 1 arcsecond. (1/3,600th of a degree)

The fact that a clock's second hand moves 6 degrees per second has no bearing on angular units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook