Solve for Wavelength of Commercial FM Radio Station at 90.1 MHz

• Thread starter map7s
  • Start date
In summary: In the de Broglie equation, the properties of the massive particle are held fixed, while in V=n*lambda, the frequency is held fixed. This means that the two statements are dealing with two different classes of objects.
map7s
Consider a commercial FM radio station that broadcasts at a frequency of 90.1 MHz. The associated electromagnetic radiation has a wavelength of ? m.

I'm pretty sure that this is a very easy problem, but for some reason, I don'ts really get it.

I was positive that I was supposed to use the equation c=wavelength*f

and I converted the frequency into Hz by multiplying by 1E6

and then I took the value of light (3E8) and divided it by my answer... is there something special about electromagnetic radiation the I failed to factor in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, assuming you did the arithmetic correctly, your answer should be correct (around 0.3 meters).

thank you so much !

According to de broglie relation lambda=h/mv ...which implies that velocity is inversely proportional to wavelength. But According to the reletion

V=n lambda ... velocity is directly proportional to wavelength... How That diffenence is Causesd ? Am i going wrong Somowhere ?

madhusudan said:
According to de broglie relation lambda=h/mv ...which implies that velocity is inversely proportional to wavelength. But According to the reletion

V=n lambda ... velocity is directly proportional to wavelength... How That diffenence is Causesd ? Am i going wrong Somowhere ?

de broglie implies that velocity is proportional to lambda only for massive particles. Massless particles always travel at c. Where did you get V=n lambda? What is n?

Hey..

Dick said:
de broglie implies that velocity is proportional to lambda only for massive particles. Massless particles always travel at c. Where did you get V=n lambda? What is n?

n is the frequency of the wave and V=n lambda is the basic Wave equation

madhusudan said:
n is the frequency of the wave and V=n lambda is the basic Wave equation

Ok, so de broglie says lambda of a massive particle is inversely proportional to the velocity at a fixed mass. V=n*lambda says the the lambda of any wave is directly proportional to velocity at fixed frequency. The two statesments refer to different classes of objects with different properties held fixed. They are two quite different statements.

Dick said:
Ok, so de broglie says lambda of a massive particle is inversely proportional to the velocity at a fixed mass. V=n*lambda says the the lambda of any wave is directly proportional to velocity at fixed frequency. The two statesments refer to different classes of objects with different properties held fixed. They are two quite different statements.
okay. How it can be different ?de Broglie Equation deals with both particle and wave character ...and V=n*lambda equation deals with wave character.. Then how it can be different ?

The wave character of a massive particle. The formula cited in this problem is for electromagnetic radiation- light.

It's also important that different quantities are being held fixed in the two problems.

1. What is a wavelength-easy problem?

A wavelength-easy problem is a type of scientific problem that involves understanding and analyzing the properties and behaviors of waves. It can also refer to problems that involve calculating or measuring the wavelength of a wave.

2. Why are wavelength-easy problems important?

Wavelength-easy problems are important because they allow scientists to better understand and predict the behavior of waves, which are fundamental to many natural phenomena such as light, sound, and seismic waves. They also have practical applications in various fields such as telecommunications, acoustics, and geophysics.

3. How do you solve a wavelength-easy problem?

Solving a wavelength-easy problem involves understanding the properties of waves, including their frequency, amplitude, and wavelength, and using mathematical equations and principles such as the wave equation and Snell's law to calculate and measure these properties.

4. What are some real-life examples of wavelength-easy problems?

Some real-life examples of wavelength-easy problems include calculating the wavelength of a sound wave produced by a musical instrument, determining the frequency of a radio wave used in communication systems, and measuring the wavelength of a seismic wave during an earthquake.

5. What are some common challenges in solving wavelength-easy problems?

Some common challenges in solving wavelength-easy problems include understanding and applying the correct equations and principles, dealing with complex wave interactions and phenomena, and ensuring accurate measurements and calculations. It is important to have a strong understanding of wave properties and mathematical skills to effectively solve these types of problems.