How Do You Calculate the Wavelength of an Electron with 1keV Kinetic Energy?

In summary, OP attempted to solve the equation for the de Broglie wavelength of an electron with a kinetic energy of 1keV, but was unsure of how to obtain the value for E. He then attempted to use the relativistic mass equation, but was still left with two unknowns in the equation. He then calculated the de Broglie wavelength using the equation OP wanted to use and found that it was 0.039 nm.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

de Broglie wavelength λ = h/p
E^2 = p^2 c^2 + (m0)^2 c^4
L-compton = (h-bar) / mc

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to work out the wavelength of an electron with a kinetic energy of 1keV

So I intend on using
de Broglie wavelength λ = h/p

and

Relativistic mass equation
E^2 = p^2 c^2 + (m0)^2 c^4

then inputting the rest mass energy of an electron (511 keV) into the formula above. Though do I need to convert this first to kg?

Also, I'd still be left with two unknowns in mass eqn i.e. E and p, so how do I obtain the value for E?

Or should I instead be using the Compton wavelength formula i.e.

L-compton = (h-bar) / mc

The question just asks for the wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZedCar said:
I'm trying to work out the wavelength of an electron with a kinetic energy of 1keV

The relationship between kinetic energy - momentum for a free electron is ##T = \frac{p^{2}}{2m}##. So, from this, we can find the momentum ##p##:

##p = \sqrt{2mT} = \sqrt{2 \times 9.1 \times 10^{-31} \times 1.6 \times 10^{-19} \times 10^{3}\frac{kg^{2} m^{2}}{s^{2}}} \approx 17.064 \times 10^{-24} \frac{kg m}{s} ##

Now, we can find the De Broglie wavelength: ##\lambda = \frac{h}{p} = \frac{6.625 \times 10^{-34}}{17.064 \times 10^{-24}} m\approx 0.039 nm##

Last edited:
QuantumQuest said:
The relationship between kinetic energy - momentum for a free electron is ##T = \frac{p^{2}}{2m}##. So, from this, we can find the momentum ##p##:

##p = \sqrt{2mT} = \sqrt{2 \times 9.1 \times 10^{-31} \times 1.6 \times 10^{-19} \times 10^{3}\frac{kg^{2} m^{2}}{s^{2}}} \approx 17.064 \times 10^{-24} \frac{kg m}{s} ##

Now, we can find the De Broglie wavelength: ##\lambda = \frac{h}{p} = \frac{6.625 \times 10^{-34}}{17.064 \times 10^{-24}} m\approx 0.039 nm##

This result is correct, because 1keV is non-relativistic for electrons, since electron rest mass is around 500keV.

On the other hand one can solve this exercise using the equation OP wanted to use: E² = m²c⁴ + p²c²

He said the energy (meaning the kinetic energy) of the electron is one keV. Thus 1keV = E - mc² = ##\sqrt{m²c⁴ + p²c²} -mc²##. If OP solves this equation, then OP can insert it in the De Broglie wavelength formula:

$$p² = \frac{1}{c²}(1keV + mc²)² - m²c² => p = \sqrt{ \frac{1}{c²}(1keV + mc²)² - m²c² } \approx 1.70933440*10^{-23}kg \frac{m}{s}$$

And so ##\lambda = h/p \approx 0.038764033nm##

Both results, of course, agree

EDIT: Not trying to be pedant, but because I want to emphasize the minute differences between both methods I will recalculate what QuantumQuest already did, but with higher precision:

non-relativistic:

##p \approx 1.70849875*10^{-23}kg \frac{m}{s} \approx 31.9687keV/c##
##\lambda = h/p \approx 0.038782993nm##

relativistic:

##p \approx 1.70933440*10^{-23}kg \frac{m}{s} \approx 31.98434keV/c##
##\lambda = h/p \approx 0.038764033nm##

Last edited:
Making my point about the minuteness of the corrections more thorough:

##p_{rel} = \sqrt{ \frac{1}{c²}(T + mc²)² - m²c² } = \sqrt{T²/c²+2Tm+m²c²-m²c²} = \sqrt{T²/c²+2Tm} = \sqrt{T}\sqrt{T/c²+2m}##
##p_{non-rel} = \sqrt{2Tm} = \sqrt{T}\sqrt{2m}##

Thus ##\frac{p_{rel}}{p_{non-rel}} = \sqrt{ frac{T/c² + 2m}{2m}} = \sqrt{\frac{T}{2mc²} + 1}##
And so ##\frac{p_{relativistic}}{p_{non-relativistic}}(x) = \sqrt{\frac{x}{2}+1}## where ##x = \frac{T}{mc²}##

This formula holds true for any massive particle.

In our case ##x \approx 1/500## and so the above formula is essentially one.
This is a good way to see when you can use non-relativistic approximations. Basically as long as your kinetic energies are much smaller than your rest mass energies, you are safe:

$$ T << mc² $$

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and energy for an electron?

The wavelength of an electron is inversely proportional to its energy. This means that as the energy of an electron increases, its wavelength decreases.

2. How is the wavelength of an electron calculated?

The wavelength of an electron can be calculated using the de Broglie equation: λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, and v is its velocity.

3. Can the wavelength of an electron be measured experimentally?

Yes, the wavelength of an electron can be measured using diffraction or interference experiments, similar to how the wavelength of light is measured.

4. How does the wavelength of an electron compare to the wavelength of light?

The wavelength of an electron is much smaller than the wavelength of light. For example, the wavelength of an electron with an energy of 1 keV is about 0.001 nanometers, while visible light has a wavelength of about 400-700 nanometers.

5. Does the wavelength of an electron change as it travels through different mediums?

Yes, the wavelength of an electron can change as it travels through different mediums due to interactions with other particles. This phenomenon is known as electron scattering.