1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength, frequency, and speed of a Standing wave.

1. May 1, 2003 #1
    Thank you all that helped me on the last problem. This other problem is also giving me a little problem.

Two sunusoidal waves travel in oppoiste directions interefere to produce a standing wave with the wave function.

y=(1.50 m) sin(.400x) cos(200t)

where x is in meters and t is in seconds. Determine the wavelength, frequency, and speed of the interfering waves.

Ok this is what I got...

Wavelength is =(velocity/frequency)
    Frequnecy is = 1/time

now the problem i ran into is this is a simple plug in and find result problem however from the standing wave funtion what numbers go where. I cant seem to find it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2003 #2
    Standing waves are given by

Y = 2A*sin(kx)*sin(wt) if that helps?

edit; k = n*pi/ L too, where L is the fundamental wavelength, you should have enough now.
    Last edited: May 1, 2003
  4. May 1, 2003 #3
    ok so the wavefrequency is L = n*pi/k however what does n stand for and k. That is the problem I am having i am not sure what certian letters mean. Thank you for the help though.
  5. May 1, 2003 #4
    Ok a better one sorry is wavelength = 2*pi / k.

You probably know f = 2*pi / w, and c = f* wavelength.

Match that to the equation in my first reply and it should be straight forward.

K is the 'wavenumber' by the way. Try looking up standing waves in a text book as well, it could help.
    Last edited: May 1, 2003
  6. May 3, 2003 #5
    ok I think i got it now

Frequency's , since it's the same as the standing wave's:
    F = 200 / 2pi = 31.83Hz.

Wavelength's is, since the wavelength of the sinusoids is the
    same as the wavelength of the standing sin(0.4x) wave. That's
    2pi / 0.4 = 15.71meters.
    Finally, the speed of the waves is just wavelength x frequency = 15.71m x 31.83/s = 500m/s.

Does this look right and did i do it right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?