Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength/frequency & it's effect on optical properties

1. Jul 7, 2005 #1

NSX

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if this is in the correct topic, so please move to a correct one if need be.

Are there any mathematical relationships between the wavelength or frequency of an electromagnetic ray and the optical properties of a material?

By optical properties, I mean the scattering coefficient ([itex]\mu_s[/itex]), absorption coefficient ([itex]\mu_a[/itex]), and anisotropy factor (g).

i.e. [tex]f(\lambda or f) = stuff and \mu_s[/tex], etc.

Preferably, there would be only one equation, which governs all types of emr's and materials, but I don't know if there is such thing.

If not, literature pointing to similar things would be great too!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neither is there one equation for all types of materials nor usually, for all frequencies.

The response to an EM field is different in gases, solid dielectrics and metals (not to say anything about glasses, molecular solids, liquid crystals, plasmas, etc.) And even for a metal, the low frequency behavior is quite different from the high frequency limit. This is not to say that there isn't a single underlying property that is at the root of this. There is - it is the dielectric constant, [itex]\epsilon(\omega)[/itex].

As to literature, here are a couple that come to mind :

Classical Electrodynamics, Jackson
    Feynman's Lectures (-Vol. 2, I think), Feynman, Leighton, Sands

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  4. Jul 9, 2005 #3

NSX

ah, thanks Gokul43201!

I was getting the idea that there is no underlying equation, because the papers I've read dealt with different materials, and also had different equations to find out such coefficients.

I will check out the Feynman Lecture as you suggested.

:smile:

5. Jul 26, 2005 #4
  6. Aug 31, 2005 #5
    THis is a good book too - "Electrodynamics of solids" - Dressel & Gruner, Camb. Univ. Press

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?