Oil & Water Film: Min Thickness of 313nm

In summary, the minimum possible thickness of a thin film of oil (n=1.50) spread over a puddle of water (n=1.33) to appear red from directly above with a wavelength of 626nm is 313nm. For a camera lens (n=1.29) coated with a thin film of magnesium fluoride (n=1.4) of thickness 87.0nm, the most strongly transmitted wavelength in the visible spectrum is approximately 553.19nm.
xamy

Homework Statement

A thin film of oil (n = 1.50) is spread over a puddle of water (n = 1.33). In a region where the film looks red from directly above (λ = 626 nm), what is the minimum possible thickness of the film?

Homework Equations

2nt = (m+0.5)λ
t = (m+0.5)λ/2n

The Attempt at a Solution

t = (1+0.5)(626E-9m)/2(1.50)
t = 313 nm

Anyone please correct the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for the minimum thickness. Did you choose the correct value of the integer m to get the minimum thickness?

I think it should be zero

Right.

thanks

Homework Statement

A camera lens (n = 1.29) is coated with a thin film of magnesium fluoride (n = 1.71) of thickness 87.0 nm. What wavelength in the visible spectrum is most strongly transmitted through the film?

Homework Equations

2nt = mλ
λ = 2nt/m

The Attempt at a Solution

λ = 2(1.71)(87E-9m)/(1)
= 297.54 nm

Solution is not correct.

You failed to consider possible phase changes upon reflection.

I think you have the phase change due to reflection accounted for. (You want maximum transmission and hence minimum reflection.) But is your answer in the visible part of the spectrum?

No its not

I might be overlooking something, but it doesn't appear to me that you can get an answer in the visible spectrum.

TSny said:
I think you have the phase change due to reflection accounted for.
D'oh! You're right. :sorry:

Oops, I merged the two threads after receiving a report that they were duplicate threads. I see now that they have slight differences in the problem statements. Sorry about that! :smile:

A web search indicates that magnesium fluoride has an index of refraction of about 1.4. Glass (camera lens) is usually about 1.5. For these values you can get an answer in the visible.

Last edited:
Looks like the problem statement (for the visible light question) was mistaken. Where is the problem from?

1. What is the significance of the minimum thickness of 313nm in an oil and water film?

The minimum thickness of 313nm in an oil and water film is significant because it is the point where the film transitions from being transparent to becoming opaque.

2. How is the minimum thickness of 313nm determined in an oil and water film?

The minimum thickness of 313nm is determined by measuring the wavelength of light that is transmitted through the film. At 313nm, the film will absorb the majority of light, making it opaque.

3. What factors can affect the minimum thickness of 313nm in an oil and water film?

The main factors that can affect the minimum thickness of 313nm in an oil and water film are the refractive indices of the oil and water, as well as the angle of incidence of light.

4. Why is the minimum thickness of 313nm important in practical applications?

The minimum thickness of 313nm is important in practical applications because it can be used to control the transparency of thin films. This is useful in industries such as optics, where the transparency of materials is crucial.

5. Can the minimum thickness of 313nm be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the minimum thickness of 313nm can be manipulated or controlled by adjusting the refractive indices of the oil and water, as well as the angle of incidence of light. This allows for precise control over the transparency of thin films in various applications.