1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength in the visible spectrum is most strongly transmitted through a thin film

Tags:
  1. Apr 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin film of oil (n = 1.50) is spread over a puddle of water (n = 1.33). In a region where the film looks red from directly above (λ = 626 nm), what is the minimum possible thickness of the film?

2. Relevant equations
    2nt = (m+0.5)λ
    t = (m+0.5)λ/2n

3. The attempt at a solution
    t = (1+0.5)(626E-9m)/2(1.50)
    t = 313 nm

Anyone please correct the solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are looking for the minimum thickness. Did you choose the correct value of the integer m to get the minimum thickness?

4. Apr 2, 2015 #3
    I think it should be zero

5. Apr 2, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right.

6. Apr 2, 2015 #5
    thanks

7. Apr 2, 2015 #6
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A camera lens (n = 1.29) is coated with a thin film of magnesium fluoride (n = 1.71) of thickness 87.0 nm. What wavelength in the visible spectrum is most strongly transmitted through the film?

2. Relevant equations
    2nt = mλ
    λ = 2nt/m

3. The attempt at a solution
    λ = 2(1.71)(87E-9m)/(1)
    = 297.54 nm

Solution is not correct.

8. Apr 2, 2015 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You failed to consider possible phase changes upon reflection.

9. Apr 2, 2015 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you have the phase change due to reflection accounted for. (You want maximum transmission and hence minimum reflection.) But is your answer in the visible part of the spectrum?

10. Apr 2, 2015 #9
    No its not

11. Apr 2, 2015 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I might be overlooking something, but it doesn't appear to me that you can get an answer in the visible spectrum.

12. Apr 2, 2015 #11

Doc Al

D'oh! You're right. :sorry:

13. Apr 2, 2015 #12

berkeman

Oops, I merged the two threads after receiving a report that they were duplicate threads. I see now that they have slight differences in the problem statements. Sorry about that! :smile:

14. Apr 2, 2015 #13

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A web search indicates that magnesium fluoride has an index of refraction of about 1.4. Glass (camera lens) is usually about 1.5. For these values you can get an answer in the visible.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  15. Apr 2, 2015 #14

Doc Al

Looks like the problem statement (for the visible light question) was mistaken. Where is the problem from?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted