Wavelength of Electron questions

In summary, to find the wavelength of an electron with energy 5.0 eV, you would use the equation E=mc^2 to find the mass, and then wavelength=h/mv to find the wavelength. For the question about accelerating a proton to have a wavelength of 0.0011 nm, you would first find the velocity using v=h/m*wavelength and then use eV=1/2mv^2 to find the voltage. Alternatively, you could use the equation for kinetic energy and the mass of the electron to calculate the momentum and then use the deBroglie equation to find the wavelength.
wikidrox
1. I need some clarification that I answered this question properly

What is the wavelength of an electron of energy 5.0 eV?

Would I just use E=mc^2 to find the mass and then wavelength = h / mv to find the wavelength?

2. This question is also giving me problems

By what potential difference must a proton (Mo = 1.67 * 10^-27 kg) be accelerated to have a wavelength of 0.0011 nm?

Would I first use v = h / m * wavelength to find the velocity? And then
eV = 1/2 mv^2 to find the voltage?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could go right to the relativistic equation for the total energy of the electron, then get the relativistic momentum, and then use the deBroglie equation relating momentum and wavelength. But you won't learn much that way.

I'd start off by using the equation for kinetic energy to see how fast a 5eV electron is going. If that equation gives you an answer anywhere near the speed of light (3E8 meters/sec) then you'll have to back up and use something else. But if it doesn't, you'll be able to get the momentum by knowing the mass of the electron, and from there you can get the deBroglie wave length.

1. Yes, you are correct in using the equations E=mc^2 and wavelength = h/mv to find the wavelength of an electron with an energy of 5.0 eV. Just make sure to convert the energy from electron volts to joules before plugging it into the equation.

2. Your approach is correct for finding the potential difference needed to accelerate a proton to a specific wavelength. First, use the equation v = h/mwavelength to find the velocity, then use the equation eV = 1/2 mv^2 to find the voltage. Remember to convert the mass from kilograms to grams before plugging it into the equation.

1. What is the wavelength of an electron?

The wavelength of an electron is a fundamental property of quantum particles and is calculated using the de Broglie equation, which states that the wavelength is equal to Planck's constant divided by the momentum of the electron.

2. How is the wavelength of an electron measured?

The wavelength of an electron can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as electron diffraction or electron microscopy. These techniques involve passing a beam of electrons through a sample and measuring the resulting diffraction pattern.

3. What is the significance of the wavelength of an electron?

The wavelength of an electron is significant because it is a key factor in understanding the wave-particle duality of electrons and other quantum particles. It also plays a role in various technologies, such as electron microscopes and particle accelerators.

4. Can the wavelength of an electron be changed?

Yes, the wavelength of an electron can be changed by altering its momentum. This can be achieved by varying the energy of the electron or by manipulating its path through an electric or magnetic field.

5. How does the wavelength of an electron compare to that of other particles?

The wavelength of an electron is much shorter than that of macroscopic objects, such as a baseball. However, it is also much longer than the wavelengths of other subatomic particles, such as protons and neutrons.