1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength of Electron questions

1. Jun 12, 2004 #1
    1. I need some clarification that I answered this question properly

What is the wavelength of an electron of energy 5.0 eV?

Would I just use E=mc^2 to find the mass and then wavelength = h / mv to find the wavelength?

2. This question is also giving me problems

By what potential difference must a proton (Mo = 1.67 * 10^-27 kg) be accelerated to have a wavelength of 0.0011 nm?

Would I first use v = h / m * wavelength to find the velocity? And then
    eV = 1/2 mv^2 to find the voltage?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2004 #2
    You could go right to the relativistic equation for the total energy of the electron, then get the relativistic momentum, and then use the deBroglie equation relating momentum and wavelength. But you won't learn much that way.

I'd start off by using the equation for kinetic energy to see how fast a 5eV electron is going. If that equation gives you an answer anywhere near the speed of light (3E8 meters/sec) then you'll have to back up and use something else. But if it doesn't, you'll be able to get the momentum by knowing the mass of the electron, and from there you can get the deBroglie wave length.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?