What Is the Wavelength of White Light?

In summary, "white light" is not a single wavelength but rather a combination of all visible wavelengths. It can be thought of as a group of photons traveling together in tandem. However, it is also possible to think of light classically as an electromagnetic wave. To understand the wavelength of white light, one can look at the visible spectrum and the phenomenon of white light passing through a prism.
ilikescience94
I know the visible spectrum,(400nm(violet)-750nm(red)) but I can't seem to find the wavelength of white light, can anyone help me out with this?

Science news on Phys.org
"White light" is NOT a single wavelength- it consists of light of all (visible) wavelengths.

So is it a group of photons of all visible wavelengths traveling together in tandem?

ilikescience94 said:
So is it a group of photons of all visible wavelengths traveling together in tandem?

Pretty much, yes.

Likes 1 person
ilikescience94 said:

That's a reasonable model.

However you can save yourself some grief by thinking of light classically, as an electromagnetic wave governed by Maxwell's equations instead of particles called "photons", whenever possible. You don't really need the photon concept until you're doing quantum mechanics - until then it's as likely to confuse as to clarify.

ilikescience94 said:
I know the visible spectrum,(400nm(violet)-750nm(red)) but I can't seem to find the wavelength of white light, can anyone help me out with this?

Ilikescience94, Welcome here to Physics Forums!

Since you already know the wavelengths of some of the colors within the visible spectrum you are close to answering your own question.

How is a rainbow created? Have you ever seen the experiment where white light is passed through a prism? May I suggest you have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_spectrum

Cheers, Bobbywhy

1. What is white light?

White light is a combination of all the visible wavelengths of light, which can be seen as the color white to the human eye.

2. What is the wavelength of white light?

The wavelength of white light ranges from approximately 400-700 nanometers (nm), with shorter wavelengths corresponding to blue and longer wavelengths corresponding to red.

3. How is the wavelength of white light measured?

The wavelength of white light can be measured using a spectrophotometer, which separates the different wavelengths of light and measures their intensity.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and color?

The shorter the wavelength, the higher the frequency and the bluer the color appears. Similarly, the longer the wavelength, the lower the frequency and the redder the color appears.

5. Why is understanding white light wavelength important?

Understanding white light wavelength is important in many fields, such as optics, astronomy, and photography. It also provides insight into the behavior and properties of light, which is essential in various scientific research and applications.