Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength of Light

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    I know the visible spectrum,(400nm(violet)-750nm(red)) but I cant seem to find the wavelength of white light, can anyone help me out with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"White light" is NOT a single wavelength- it consists of light of all (visible) wavelengths.

4. Sep 12, 2013 #3
    So is it a group of photons of all visible wavelengths travelling together in tandem?

5. Sep 12, 2013 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Pretty much, yes.

6. Sep 12, 2013 #5

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

That's a reasonable model.

However you can save yourself some grief by thinking of light classically, as an electromagnetic wave governed by Maxwell's equations instead of particles called "photons", whenever possible. You don't really need the photon concept until you're doing quantum mechanics - until then it's as likely to confuse as to clarify.

7. Sep 13, 2013 #6

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Ilikescience94, Welcome here to Physics Forums!

Since you already know the wavelengths of some of the colors within the visible spectrum you are close to answering your own question.

How is a rainbow created? Have you ever seen the experiment where white light is passed through a prism? May I suggest you have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_spectrum

Cheers, Bobbywhy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook