Wavelength of Light

Main Question or Discussion Point

I know the visible spectrum,(400nm(violet)-750nm(red)) but I cant seem to find the wavelength of white light, can anyone help me out with this?

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
"White light" is NOT a single wavelength- it consists of light of all (visible) wavelengths.

So is it a group of photons of all visible wavelengths travelling together in tandem?

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
So is it a group of photons of all visible wavelengths travelling together in tandem?
Pretty much, yes.

Likes 1 person
Nugatory
Mentor
That's a reasonable model.

However you can save yourself some grief by thinking of light classically, as an electromagnetic wave governed by Maxwell's equations instead of particles called "photons", whenever possible. You don't really need the photon concept until you're doing quantum mechanics - until then it's as likely to confuse as to clarify.

Bobbywhy
Gold Member
I know the visible spectrum,(400nm(violet)-750nm(red)) but I cant seem to find the wavelength of white light, can anyone help me out with this?
Ilikescience94, Welcome here to Physics Forums!

Since you already know the wavelengths of some of the colors within the visible spectrum you are close to answering your own question.

How is a rainbow created? Have you ever seen the experiment where white light is passed through a prism? May I suggest you have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_spectrum

Cheers, Bobbywhy