Wavelength Problem Homework: 2L or 4L for 0.5m String?

• Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the problem involves a uniform string of length 0.5 m, fixed at one end and free at the other end. The objective is to find the wavelength of the fundamental mode of vibration. The formula λ = (2L) / mode is used, but the solution suggests that the fundamental frequency has 1/4 wavelength on the length, as the string is fixed at one end and free to vibrate at the other end. It is important to draw diagrams to better understand and solve problems involving wavelength and length.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

A uniform string of length 0.5 m. is fixed at one end and free at the other end. Find the wavelength of the fundamental mode of vibration.

Homework Equations

λ = (2L) / mode

The Attempt at a Solution

λ = (2(0.5 m.)) / 1
λ = 1 m.

But the solution says it's 2 m. because λ = 4*L. Why is it 4L when the formula is 2L?

Physics news on Phys.org
Delphi51 said:
The wave is like figure 4 in this link: http://www.studyphysics.ca/newnotes/20/unit03_mechanicalwaves/chp141516_waves/lesson51.htm

The string is fixed at the left end, free to vibrate at the other end. The fundamental frequency shown has 1/4 wavelength on the Length, so λ/4 = L. You almost have to draw the diagram to answer questions like this - too much to remember otherwise.

I don't understand why the fundamental is 1/4 wavelength in my problem. Maybe it might help if I understood where the formula λ = (2L) / mode came from, because it's the only one involving wavelength and length that I know.

I have not seen λ = (2L) / mode but it suggests a string fixed at both ends:
Then mode = 1 would be one wavelength spread over two lengths or half a wavelength on the string length L. At mode = 2, a complete wavelength on the length L. If you draw pictures of these, you'll see that both ends of the string are fixed in each case. See http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/strings.html.

I would like to clarify that the formula for calculating the wavelength of a fundamental mode of vibration in a uniform string is indeed λ = (2L)/mode. This means that for a string of length 0.5 m, the wavelength should be 0.5 m for a mode of 1.

However, the solution stating a wavelength of 2 m is also correct, but it is for a different mode of vibration. In this case, the mode is equal to 2, which means that the formula becomes λ = (2L)/2 = L. Therefore, for a mode of 2, the wavelength would be equal to the length of the string, which is 0.5 m.

In conclusion, both answers are correct depending on the mode of vibration being considered. It is important to pay attention to the given information and the formula being used in order to arrive at the correct solution.

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and string length?

The wavelength of a wave on a string is directly proportional to the length of the string. This means that as the length of the string increases, the wavelength also increases and vice versa.

2. How does the wavelength change if the string length is doubled?

If the string length is doubled, the wavelength will also double. This is because the wavelength is directly proportional to the string length.

3. Which value should I use for string length - 2L or 4L?

The value of string length that should be used depends on the specific problem or experiment. If the problem is referring to the length of the string as a whole, then 2L should be used. However, if the problem is referring to half of the string (as in the case of standing waves), then 4L should be used. It is important to carefully read the problem and determine which value is appropriate to use.

4. Why is the wavelength important in this problem?

The wavelength is important because it is a fundamental property of waves and is used to calculate many other important aspects such as wave speed, frequency, and energy. In this specific problem, the wavelength is necessary to determine the standing wave patterns and nodes on the string.

5. Can I use any units for string length in this problem?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent throughout the problem, any units can be used for string length. However, it is important to note the units used when solving the problem and to convert to the appropriate units if necessary.