Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Wavelength question

1. Nov 24, 2006 #1
    When you have a wave travelling through a thin rope and then passing to a denser one, what happens to its wavelength and frequency? What about the opposite process (from heavier to light rope)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: What happens to the speed of the wave?

4. Nov 24, 2006 #3
    The speed goes down in the heavier rope. But still, speed equals wavelength times frequency so I don't know which one increases and which one decreases.

5. Nov 25, 2006 #4

Doc Al

The frequency, which is a property of the source of the wave, remains constant as the wave encounters different densities.

6. Nov 25, 2006 #5
    Thanks Doc.
    I had a test last week, which had a question that said a wave travelled through a rope and that afterwards, a second experiment was done on the same rope, now passing a wave with double the frequency as in the first experiment. The question was: What is the speed of the second wave as compared to the first?
    At first I chose the answer that said it was doubled up but then I thought about it and remembered the formula v = sq.root(tension/u)
    So I thought those variables remained constant as it was the same rope, so I finally chose the option that said the speed didn't change.
    But I'm not sure if I got it right.
    Did I get it right?

7. Nov 26, 2006 #6

Doc Al

You got it right: the speed of the wave depends only on the properties of the rope (tension and mass/length). So if those properties don't change, the speed of the wave doesn't change. Good thinking.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook