1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength question

1. Nov 24, 2006 #1
    When you have a wave travelling through a thin rope and then passing to a denser one, what happens to its wavelength and frequency? What about the opposite process (from heavier to light rope)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: What happens to the speed of the wave?

4. Nov 24, 2006 #3
    The speed goes down in the heavier rope. But still, speed equals wavelength times frequency so I don't know which one increases and which one decreases.

5. Nov 25, 2006 #4

Doc Al

The frequency, which is a property of the source of the wave, remains constant as the wave encounters different densities.

6. Nov 25, 2006 #5
    Thanks Doc.
    I had a test last week, which had a question that said a wave travelled through a rope and that afterwards, a second experiment was done on the same rope, now passing a wave with double the frequency as in the first experiment. The question was: What is the speed of the second wave as compared to the first?
    At first I chose the answer that said it was doubled up but then I thought about it and remembered the formula v = sq.root(tension/u)
    So I thought those variables remained constant as it was the same rope, so I finally chose the option that said the speed didn't change.
    But I'm not sure if I got it right.
    Did I get it right?

7. Nov 26, 2006 #6

Doc Al

You got it right: the speed of the wave depends only on the properties of the rope (tension and mass/length). So if those properties don't change, the speed of the wave doesn't change. Good thinking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?