1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelenth and Velocoty

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    heya,

i'm trying to solve this problem for a prelab question of mine, i think the problem that i've been noticing is that i can't find the right formula which involves all the variables listed... anyway heres the question.

A longitudinal wave with a frequency of 6 Hz takes 1.0 s to travel the length of a 2.5-m Slinky (see Figure). Determine the wavelength of the wave in meters.
    m

thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2
    I think just use dimensional analysis.

The wave travels 2.5 m in 1.0 s so its velocity is 2.5 m/s. Divide this by 6 Hz (s^-1) and get 0.4167 m.

Formula might be [itex]\lambda \nu = v [/itex] .

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  4. Apr 14, 2005 #3

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

hint: -----> http://hubblesite.org/reference_desk/faq/answer.php.id=72&cat=light

it may not be clear but their equation actually reads: [tex] \lambda\nu = v [/tex] the [tex] \nu [/tex] is the greek letter nu.

Once you know the relationship, you have all the elements to find the wavelength..

edit: looks like QM already posted a solution. I was trying to help you figure it out yourself.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?