Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Wavelenth and Velocoty

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    heya,

i'm trying to solve this problem for a prelab question of mine, i think the problem that i've been noticing is that i can't find the right formula which involves all the variables listed... anyway heres the question.

A longitudinal wave with a frequency of 6 Hz takes 1.0 s to travel the length of a 2.5-m Slinky (see Figure). Determine the wavelength of the wave in meters.
    m

thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2
    I think just use dimensional analysis.

The wave travels 2.5 m in 1.0 s so its velocity is 2.5 m/s. Divide this by 6 Hz (s^-1) and get 0.4167 m.

Formula might be [itex]\lambda \nu = v [/itex] .

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  4. Apr 14, 2005 #3

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

hint: -----> http://hubblesite.org/reference_desk/faq/answer.php.id=72&cat=light

it may not be clear but their equation actually reads: [tex] \lambda\nu = v [/tex] the [tex] \nu [/tex] is the greek letter nu.

Once you know the relationship, you have all the elements to find the wavelength..

edit: looks like QM already posted a solution. I was trying to help you figure it out yourself.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook