1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelet Problem

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    I am new to wavelet, and found this thing interesting, and had been studying for couple of days.

I have few questions that i couldn't find any good answers to them :

1. From the materials i had read, they all saying that the multiresolutional levels are of 2^j, where j is the levels number. Is it necessary to construct a structure like this? i mean, why could not it be more level to get more precise resolutions in analysis? what is the principle underlying the theorem saying it has to be 2^j ?

2. Again regarding the question above, it implicitly indicates that the sample must be of M-by-M matrices (for 2D image case for example OR a voice signals with N times interval where N = M x M ), in order to get the level to serve as a base for power of TWO, where N = M x M, and N must be of multiple of 2. Is there any essence of this ? what if my input signals are not a multiple of 2 ? let's say for image with a dimension of 533 * 311 ?

3. For the wavelet bases functions, how did one comes out with such bases functions? what i am referring is the inspiration and idea behind these bases functions, i have seen couple of bases functions using cosine-sine to serve as orthogonal bases, so is there any other than this? can eigenvectors play a role in this wavelet theory? Or is there any other concrete orthogonal bases? what are the major difference between these bases?

A Big Big Thanks to whoever read and concern about my questions above.
    Due to the lacking of information regarding this newly amazing topics,
    hereby appreciate whoever is willing to lend a hand onto this cutting edge mathematical tools.

Have a nice day,
    God Bless.

Regards,
    Daniel.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted