1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelets: Cone of Influence

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1
    While reading this paper I came across the term Cone of Influence which is described as

As an example: We have a vector with length 1001 and then compress it using the Mexican Hat Wavelet. As a result we get the following power spectrum plot:
    xVI5Q.png

Then using this tool we obtain the same power spectrum, but with the COI added (cross-hatched region on plot b).
    T0WHo.png

Usually the coefficients of a CWT are presented in the timescale {b, a} half plane with linear scale on time b axis, pointing to the right, and logarithmic scale а axis, facing downward with increasing octave. To resolve localized signals, the analyzing wavelet ψ(t) is chosen so that it vanishes outside some interval (t_min, t_max). In this case the domain in the {b,a} half plane that can be influenced by a point (b_0, a_0) mainly lies within the cone of influence defined by
    Code (Text):
    Abs[b - b_0] = a Sqrt[2]
    My question is: Using the above equation how should I plot the COI ? What I mean is how should I choose a, b and b_0 with respect to the wavelet used in the transform ?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted