Wavepacket expansion coefficients

In summary, the expansion coefficients are the a_{n} s which include a time dependence and also dictate the probability of obtaining an eigenvalue whereby \sum |a_{n}(t)|^{2} = 1. The expectation values of operators can be given as function of the a_{n}(t) coefficients given the orthonormality in the eigenfunctions, whereby <H> = \sum |a_{n}(t)|^{2} E_{n}. It is trivial to find the expansion coefficients in the basis states \phi _n(x) of a particle in periodic box of size L if the wave function is \psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2
raintrek
I'm trying to get my head around the idea of expansion coefficients when describing a wavefunction as

[tex]\Psi(\textbf{r}, t) = \sum a_{n}(t)\psi_{n}(\textbf{r})[/tex]

As I understand it, the expansion coefficients are the [tex]a_{n}[/tex] s which include a time dependence and also dictate the probability of obtaining an eigenvalue whereby [tex]\sum |a_{n}(t)|^{2} = 1[/tex]. I also understand that the expectation values of operators can be given as function of the [tex]a_{n}(t)[/tex] coefficients given the orthonormality in the eigenfunctions, whereby [tex]<H> = \sum |a_{n}(t)|^{2} E_{n}[/tex].

If I'm looking at the wavepacket:

[tex]\psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})[/tex]

How would I determine the expansion coefficients of the wavepacket in the basis states [tex]\psi_{n}(x)[/tex] for the particle in the periodic box, length L? I'm completely confused about the terminology here.

Any help/explanation would be massively appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
you fist find the corresponding eigenfunctions [itex] \phi (x) [/itex]for the particle in the periodic box, length L? Then you do this:

[tex] a_n = \int \psi ^*(x) \phi _n(x) dx [/tex]

i.e

[tex] \psi (x) = \sum a_n \phi _n(x) [/tex]

wave functions are normalised here.

So now find the eigenfunction for a box with length L, and do the integral.

Last edited:
I thought that the eigenfunctions [tex]\psi(x)[/tex]were already specific by
[tex]\psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})[/tex]?

ok your post was not clear.

You state that your wave packed was:
[tex]\psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})[/tex]

But that is the wave function for the groud state for the box with length L.

The eigenfunctions are altough:

[tex]\phi _n(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L})[/tex]

So IF your wave function was [tex]\psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})[/tex], then it is trivial to find the expansion coefficients in the basis [itex] \phi _n(x) [/itex]

Sorry, I should have probably just transcribed the question as it's written here:

What are the expansion coefficients of the wavepacket [tex]\psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})[/tex] in the basis states [tex]\psi_{n}(x)[/tex] of a particle in periodic box of size L?

I thought that maybe I'd need to use this relation:

[tex]a_{n}(t) = \int \psi^{*}_{m}(r) \Psi(r,t) dV[/tex]

But that gives me a sin² integral which seems very involved for the question...

1. What are wavepacket expansion coefficients?

Wavepacket expansion coefficients are mathematical coefficients that describe the contributions of different energy states to a quantum mechanical wavepacket. They are used to represent the wave-like behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

2. How are wavepacket expansion coefficients calculated?

Wavepacket expansion coefficients are typically calculated using the Fourier transform. This involves decomposing the wavepacket into a sum of individual energy states and then calculating the coefficients that correspond to each state.

3. What is the significance of wavepacket expansion coefficients?

Wavepacket expansion coefficients are important because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of particles in quantum systems. They provide information about the amplitude and phase of the wavepacket, which are crucial for understanding phenomena such as interference and tunneling.

4. How do wavepacket expansion coefficients relate to uncertainty principle?

Wavepacket expansion coefficients are related to the uncertainty principle in that they represent the trade-off between knowing a particle's position and momentum with certainty. The more localized a wavepacket is in space, the less defined its momentum will be, and vice versa.

5. Can wavepacket expansion coefficients be negative?

Yes, wavepacket expansion coefficients can be negative. This indicates a negative phase shift, which can lead to destructive interference and result in a decrease in the overall amplitude of the wavepacket. However, in many cases, the coefficients are typically squared, so the negative sign is not always relevant.