1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavepackets [k-space to z-space]

1. Jan 10, 2007 #1
    Hi, this type of question has been confusing my slightly as of late, an a pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The wavefunction associated with a Gaussian wavepacket propagating in free space can be shown to be [included as attachment - it's too complicated for here] where delta k is withe width of the wavepacket in k space and v is the velocity of the wavepacket.

Deduce an expression for the width of the wavepacket in real space (z-space)as a function of time

2. Relevant equations

again, as attached

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm suspecting it has something to do with Fourier Transforms, but I'm really stumped. it's probably straightforward, but i'm a bit blind to it at the moment

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have a hunch that [itex] \Delta z\Delta p =\frac{\hbar}{2} [/itex], since a gaussian wavepacket is minimizing the uncertainty relations.

Daniel.

4. Jan 19, 2007 #3
    To find the witdth of the wave packet you should consider the form of
    [tex] |\psi|^2 [/tex] .
    This will have the form
    [tex] \psi \propto \exp \left\{- \frac{(z - vt)^2}{A(t)} \right\} [/tex]

This has the form of a Gaussian curve. The maximum occurs where [tex] z = vt [/tex] where the exponens takes on the value 1.
    The width is given by the lenght between the points where the exponent is [tex] 1/2 [/tex]. So the expression used to find the widht is
    [tex] \exp \left\{ - \frac{(z-vt)^2}{A(t)} \right\} = \frac{1}{2} [/tex].
    Solving this gives two solutions [tex] z_1(t) [/tex] and [tex] z_2 (t) [/tex] and the difference between these are the width of the wave packet.

You can expect that the width is increasing with time, since the Schrödinger equation has a dispersive term (a term that causes different Fourier components of the wave to propagate with different velocities).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?