Waves: Analysis/Speed of Disturbance

• Thread starter Desh627
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the given disturbance is a traveling wave described by a Gaussian function and its speed is v = a/b.
Desh627

Homework Statement

A disturbance can be written as: y(x,t)= (e-(x/b)2e2xt/be-t2)a

This disturbance is:
(A) not a traveling wave
(B) a traveling wave with speed v = a
(C) a traveling wave with speed v = a/b
(D) a traveling wave with speed v = b

Homework Equations

y(x,0) = f(tx)
y(x,t) = f'(x) = f(x-vt)
[tex]\partial[/tex]2f = 1[tex] /[/tex]v2 [tex]\partial[/tex]2y[tex]/[/tex]dt2
dz2

The Attempt at a Solution

We haven't really dealt with waves using e, and I'm not quite sure exactly how to attack this problem: plug it into the wave equation, trying to simplify to equate what's in the parenthesis to compare with x-vt, etc., so I'm a touch lost overall in trying to attack this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

your first step should be to analyze the given disturbance and try to understand its properties and behavior. In this case, the disturbance is given by a mathematical equation in the form of a Gaussian function. This function has a characteristic bell-shaped curve and is often used to describe physical phenomena such as light, sound, and heat.

To determine if this disturbance is a traveling wave, we need to look at the equation and see if it contains any terms that involve both x and t. If there are such terms, then the disturbance is a traveling wave.

In this case, we can see that the equation contains both x and t in the exponent of the first term, e-(x/b)2, and in the second term, e2xt/be-t2. This means that the disturbance is indeed a traveling wave.

Next, we need to determine the speed of this wave. The speed of a traveling wave is given by the ratio of the distance traveled by the wave to the time taken to travel that distance. In this case, the distance traveled by the wave is given by the parameter a, and the time taken is given by the parameter b. Therefore, the speed of this wave is v = a/b.

Therefore, the correct answer is (C) a traveling wave with speed v = a/b.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key components and variables involved. The disturbance is represented by the function y(x,t) and is dependent on both space (x) and time (t). The disturbance also has a coefficient (a) and a parameter (b) in the equation.

Next, I would use the given equations and information to analyze the speed of the disturbance. The first step is to determine if the disturbance is a traveling wave or not. A traveling wave is a disturbance that moves through a medium, maintaining its shape and speed. In this case, the disturbance is a traveling wave because it has a dependence on both space and time.

To calculate the speed of the disturbance, I would use the equation v = λf, where v is the speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. However, since the disturbance is not described in terms of wavelength or frequency, I would use the equation v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time it takes to travel that distance.

Using this equation, I would first determine the distance traveled by the disturbance in one unit of time (t=1). This can be done by setting t=1 in the given equation and simplifying to find the distance traveled.

Next, I would determine the speed of the disturbance by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken (t=1). This speed would then be compared to the given options to identify the correct answer.

Overall, the disturbance is a traveling wave with a speed of v = a/b. This can be seen by comparing the given equation to the wave equation, where v = a/b and λ = b. Therefore, the correct answer is (C) a traveling wave with speed v = a/b.

1. What is the definition of a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that moves through a medium, transferring energy without causing any net movement of the medium itself.

2. How is the speed of a wave determined?

The speed of a wave is determined by the type of wave and the properties of the medium it is traveling through. In general, the speed of a wave increases with the stiffness of the medium and decreases with the density of the medium.

3. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves are waves in which the disturbance is perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while longitudinal waves are waves in which the disturbance is parallel to the direction of propagation.

4. How is the wavelength of a wave measured?

The wavelength of a wave is measured as the distance between two consecutive points that are in phase, meaning they have the same position and velocity in the wave cycle. This can be measured from peak to peak or trough to trough.

5. Can the speed of a wave change?

Yes, the speed of a wave can change if it enters a different medium with different properties. It can also change if the medium itself changes, such as in the case of a sound wave traveling through air with different temperatures.