Low Frequency Wave Transmission Through Barriers

• Thread starter neworder1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, barriers pass more low frequencies than high, which can be understood by looking at the wave equation.
neworder1
Any barrier passes more low frequencies than high (i.e. the amplitude of transmitted wave is higher when the frequency is lower). This can be derived form wave equations, but I wonder whether there is any qualitative explanation for this, not resorting to mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any barrier passes more low frequencies than high
Not necessarily, low pass filters are probably easier to think about mechanically where a damping system will reduce high frequencies.
In electroncis it's often more common to filter out lower frequency eg 60Hz interference while transmitting a high frequency signal.

neworder1 said:
Any barrier passes more low frequencies than high (i.e. the amplitude of transmitted wave is higher when the frequency is lower). This can be derived form wave equations, but I wonder whether there is any qualitative explanation for this, not resorting to mathematics?

What barrier and what kind of waves are you asking about? Some barriers will resonate at particular frequencies, and hence pass a band of frequencies and reflect the others.

I mean barriers like a capacitator in RC high pass filter (change of voltage) or an ordinary building wall (sound wave). When a wave passes from one medium to another some frequencies are reflected more than the others - I wonder whether in the example above it can be shown "qualitatively", without wave equations.

You don't use the wave equation to solve for the frequency response of an RC filter.

On the wall example, you can intuitively see how at the fundamental resonance frequency, the middle of the wall will alternately bulge a bit out and back in, at the sound frequency that matches that wall resonance (which is determined by the rigidity and size of the wall). Since the wall is physically moving back and forth, it transmits some of the longitudinal sound wave's energy through to the other side. Is that the kind of non-equation intuitive explanation that you are looking for?

1. What is low frequency wave transmission through barriers?

Low frequency wave transmission through barriers refers to the process of waves with a frequency below 20Hz passing through physical barriers, such as walls or buildings.

2. How do low frequency waves pass through barriers?

Low frequency waves are able to pass through barriers due to their longer wavelengths, which allow them to diffract and bend around the edges of the barrier.

3. What are some examples of barriers that low frequency waves can pass through?

Some common barriers that low frequency waves can pass through include walls made of concrete, wood, or brick, as well as other solid structures such as mountains or hills.

4. Can low frequency waves be blocked by any type of barrier?

No, low frequency waves cannot be completely blocked by any type of barrier, as they are able to diffract and bend around the edges. However, thicker and denser barriers may provide more attenuation or reduction in the intensity of the wave.

5. What are some potential applications for low frequency wave transmission through barriers?

Low frequency wave transmission through barriers has various applications, including communication through walls for military or security purposes, underwater sonar detection, and seismic imaging for geological surveys.