Why didn't I see a peak at half the frequency in my FFT analysis of two waves?

In summary, the conversation is discussing FFT analysis to compare two waves. One wave has a dip occurring at half the frequency of the main wave, which is causing confusion about how it will appear in the FFT analysis. The dip is between two sine waves that are mirroring each other, and the resulting frequency signal is expected to be complex. Images are requested for further clarification.
Sam Smith
I am carrying out FFT analysis to compare two waves. One looks very much like a sine wave the other has an extra dip occurring at half the frequency of the main wave. I have been thinking around how I might expect this to show up in the FFT analysis. At first i was expecting to see a smaller peak at half the main frequency but after a while I thought that it may just result in a few more higher harmonics due to the fact that the wave is becoming more complex. I did the FFT and I didnt see a peak at half frequency. so I guess the second conclusion is correct btu I still can't reconcile why I would expect to see a peak at half frequency of the main peak?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the original wave is a two sine waves put together each mirroring the other. The dip is in between them so instead of going back to zero the graph dips instead :)

OK, so two sine waves mirroring each other have the same frequency but opposite phase. Each of those sine waves is multiplied by a rectangular wave in the time domain, which means that it is convolved with the transform of the rectangular wave in the frequency domain. So you will expect to see a signal that looks much more like the sum of two Fourier transforms of a rectangular wave. Since they are each modulated by the same frequency but opposite phases the resulting sum is not obvious to me. I would expect it to look "complicated".

Can you post images? Your description is unclear.

What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transporting energy from one location to another without transporting matter.

What is frequency?

Frequency is the number of waves that pass a fixed point in a given amount of time. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is inversely proportional to the period of the wave.

What is FFT?

FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) is a mathematical algorithm used to analyze data in the frequency domain. It converts a signal from its original representation (often a function of time) to a representation in the frequency domain and vice versa.

How is FFT useful in science?

FFT is useful in science because it allows us to analyze signals in the frequency domain, which can provide valuable information about the underlying processes and structures. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to study vibrations, sound, and other phenomena.

What are some real-world applications of waves and frequency analysis?

There are many real-world applications of waves and frequency analysis, including audio and image compression, signal processing, radar and sonar technology, earthquake detection, and medical imaging. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as wireless communication and quantum computing.