1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves and frequency - FFT

Tags:
  1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    I am carrying out FFT analysis to compare two waves. One looks very much like a sine wave the other has an extra dip occuring at half the frequency of the main wave. I have been thinking around how I might expect this to show up in the FFT analysis. At first i was expecting to see a smaller peak at half the main frequency but after a while I thought that it may just result in a few more higher harmonics due to the fact that the wave is becoming more complex. I did the FFT and I didnt see a peak at half frequency. so I guess the second conclusion is correct btu I still cant reconcile why I would expect to see a peak at half frequency of the main peak?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

What does the "dip" look like?

4. Nov 25, 2014 #3
    Well the original wave is a two sine waves put together each mirroring the other. The dip is in between them so instead of going back to zero the graph dips instead :)

5. Nov 25, 2014 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

OK, so two sine waves mirroring each other have the same frequency but opposite phase. Each of those sine waves is multiplied by a rectangular wave in the time domain, which means that it is convolved with the transform of the rectangular wave in the frequency domain. So you will expect to see a signal that looks much more like the sum of two Fourier transforms of a rectangular wave. Since they are each modulated by the same frequency but opposite phases the resulting sum is not obvious to me. I would expect it to look "complicated".

6. Nov 25, 2014 #5
    Can you post images? Your description is unclear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook