Understanding the Relationship of n=Sine i/Sin r for Waves and Light Homework

In summary, the relationship between n, sine i, and sine r is described by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence (i) to the sine of the angle of refraction (r) is equal to the ratio of the indices of refraction (n) of the two materials. This relationship applies to waves and light as they are both subject to the laws of refraction. The significance of the index of refraction is that it determines how much a material slows down the speed of light or a wave passing through it, and it also determines the critical angle for total internal reflection. The angle of incidence and refraction are related by the index of refraction, and this relationship is
raman911

Homework Statement

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/7336/12345va5.png

The Attempt at a Solution

n= Sine i/Sin r
n= Sin 3o/Sin15
n=1.93
Is That Right

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
any one help me

Yes that is correct.

It seems ok to me.

yep, correct

1. What is the relationship between n, sine i, and sine r?

The relationship between n, sine i, and sine r can be described by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence (i) to the sine of the angle of refraction (r) is equal to the ratio of the indices of refraction (n) of the two materials.

2. How does this relationship apply to waves and light?

This relationship applies to waves and light because both are subject to the laws of refraction. The index of refraction (n) determines how much a wave or light ray is bent when passing through a material, and this bending is described by the relationship n = sine i/sine r.

3. What is the significance of the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light or a wave passing through it. It is a crucial factor in determining how light and waves behave when passing from one medium to another, and it also determines the critical angle at which total internal reflection occurs.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction are related by the index of refraction of the materials involved. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases, but at a slower rate. This relationship is described by the equation n = sine i/sine r.

5. How is this relationship used in practical applications?

The relationship of n = sine i/sine r is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of lenses, prisms, and other optical devices. It is also used in the field of spectroscopy to analyze the properties of different materials based on how they interact with light. Understanding this relationship is essential in fields such as optics, astronomy, and telecommunications.