1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves and Optics

1. Jan 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An unpolarised light beam is shone horizontally through a cubic tank filled
    with weakly scattering fluid. Can vertically polarized light leave through the sides that are parallel to the beam’s propagation direction?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My thinking is that they can. If the fluid is weakly scattering the chances are that a small amount of light would be able to leave through the top sides and that this would have vertically polarised light. Any ideas on how to approach this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the light is scattered straight up through the top then I don't see how it could be vertically polarised. But if you change it to scattering horizontally through the sides I would agree. Mind you, I'm no expert on this topic.

4. Jan 18, 2016 #3

Suraj M

Gold Member

The last image on this page -http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/polar.html
    Wouldn't that mean it is possible?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted