1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves and Power

1. Nov 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2.12-m long rope has a mass of 0.116 kg. The tension is 62.9 N. An oscillator at one end sends a harmonic wave with an amplitude of 1.09 cm down the rope. The other end of the rope is terminated so all of the energy of the wave is absorbed and none is reflected. What is the frequency of the oscillator if the power transmitted is 118 W?

2. Relevant equations

[itex]V_{wave}=f\lambda[/itex]
    [itex]V_{wave string}=\sqrt{\frac{\tau}{\frac{m}{L}}}[/itex]
    [itex]\omega=\frac{2pi}{T}=2\pi*f[/itex]
    [itex]P=(\frac{1}{2})(\mu)(V_{wave})(\omega)^2(A)^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the Power equation I plugged in the general form for [itex]v_{wave}[/itex] as well as the general for [itex]\omega[/itex]. Since there is no wavelength given and one harmonic wave is passing I plugged in L for [itex]\lambda[/itex], giving me;
    [itex]P=(\frac{1}{2})\sqrt{\frac{\tau}{\frac{m}{L}}}(fL)(4*\pi^2*f^2)(A)^2[/itex]

Solving for f:

[itex]f^3=\frac{2P}{4\pi^2A^2L\sqrt{\frac{\tau}{\frac{m}{L}}}}[/itex]

I'm not sure where I am going wrong in this; I believe all of my algebra is correct. Does it have something to do with [itex](\lambda)\neq(L)[/itex] here.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes = ##\lambda \neq L##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted