Calculating String Mass per Unit Length: Tension, Wave Speed, and Gravity

In summary, the observed wave speed in a string with a suspended mass of 3.2 kg is 26 m/s. The question is asking for the mass per unit length of the string, and the equation for wave speed on a string involves tension and mass-per-length. The answer should be in units of kg/m.
gansta344u

Homework Statement

Tension is maintained in a string as in the
figure. The observed wave speed is 26 m/s
when the suspended mass is 3.2 kg .What is the mass per unit length of
the string? The acceleration of gravity is
9.8 m/s2 . Answer in units of kg/m

The Attempt at a Solution

can someone please guide me in the direcxtion of which i should approach the problem because I am really confused

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an equation for wave speed on a string. It has to do with tension and mass-per-length, and should be in your textbook.

do u mean v=frequency(wave length)

No, not that one. It should involve the string's tension, as well as the mass-per-unit-length.

its okay i figured it out

What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one place to another without permanently displacing the medium itself.

What are the types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: mechanical and electromagnetic. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum.

How are waves measured?

Waves are typically measured by their wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs, frequency is the number of waves that pass through a point in one second, and amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave from its rest position.

What causes vibrations?

Vibrations are caused by a back-and-forth motion of an object or medium. This motion can be caused by external forces, such as sound or physical contact, or internal forces, such as thermal energy.

How are waves and vibrations related?

Vibrations can create waves, as the back-and-forth motion of an object can transfer energy to the surrounding medium, causing a disturbance. Additionally, waves can cause vibrations in objects they come into contact with.