Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves between 20 - 200 Hz

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    Hey,

I'm wondering, could anyone describe what kind of waves we observe between 20 - 200 Hz? I find this spectrum very interesting, as it includes many interesting aspects. Electricity we use are normally from 50-60 Hz.

Am I right that somewhere around 100 Hz light, although not visible, start to operate? Could anyone describe the waves seen here to me? Obviously it is not visible light, as that's not before around 400 Hz, but it is still photons, isn't it?

This spectrum also corresponds with the highest half of our audible range, as well as the highest forms of beta waves, and the whole spectrum of gamma waves.

I would be highly interested in hearing every detail concerning this range. In terms of quantum mechanics, is that spectrum involved in some of the phenomena we can observe?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2
    Why don't you listen to bass frequencies of music and human voice? It's precisely that interval

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Electromagnetic waves at 30–300 Hz are called super-low frequency. Electromagnetic waves at lower frequencies are called extremely low frequency.

Visible light consists of electromagnetic waves at a frequency of 405–790 THz. (THz is one trillion Hz.)

See Electromagnetic spectrum for all frequencies. All electromagnetic waves are composed of photons.

Sound waves (audible sound is in the range 20–20000 Hz) are something quite different from electromagnetic waves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook