Waves-displacement vs movement

• Thread starter vadevalor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movement
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of displacement and movement in relation to particles and waves. It is explained that displacement is different from movement and can have a positive or negative value, depending on the direction of the displacement. The example of a skier moving down a mountain is used to illustrate this concept. The conversation also mentions the physical quantities of momentum and velocity, and how they relate to displacement and movement. Additionally, the relationship between position-time and velocity-time graphs is discussed. The conversation concludes by highlighting that objects can have negative displacement and positive velocity, and vice versa, and this should not be confusing based on previous knowledge of Newton's laws and kinematics.
vadevalor
How can a particle move downwards and be displaced upwards? Sounds paradoxical. I understand the part about movement but not displacement. What's the difference? Isnt displacement like the amplitude so when a particle in a transverse wave move down doesn't it mean its displaced downward?

Physics news on Phys.org
vadevalor said:
How can a particle move downwards and be displaced upwards?
The same way a skiier can be displaced a long way up a mountain but be moving (skiing) down it.
You have already met this sort of thing in your work on Newton's laws of motion.

I understand the part about movement but not displacement. What's the difference? Isn't displacement like the amplitude so when a particle in a transverse wave move down doesn't it mean its displaced downward?
When you displace a string in the +y direction, and let go, which direction does it move in? What physical quantity describes "movement"?

I'm sorry i still don't get the skiing part too :( hmm movement the physical qty is distance??

for movement, the physical quantity is "momentum" but I'd accept "velocity".
for position, the physical quantity is "distance", I'd accept "displacement".

something can have a positive displacement and a negative velocity if it is headed back to the origin.
have you not covered Newton's laws yet? kinematics? v-t graphs?

I have covered Newton's law and i understand that part. I think i got you now :) so a particle will be displaced downwards regardless of movement when it is below the eqm position?( in a graph of sinusoidal waves diagram)

That's right - in a wave of form ##y(x,t)=A\sin k(x-vt)## each point x will be oscilating about y=0 as ##y(t)=A\sin \omega t## the plot will give you a position-time graph. The velocity time graph is the derivative of this: ##v(t)=\omega A \cos \omega t## ... if you plot them above one another (so the time axis coincides) you'll see the relationship.

You should know from your Newton's laws and kinematics work that an object can be above the ground (positive height) and be falling (negative velocity). It's not just height that can be positive ... something with a negative horizontal displacement (say, it is to the left of the observer/origin and distances to the right are positive) can have a positive velocity (it is moving left-to-right). This should not be a mystery to you.

1. What is the difference between waves-displacement and movement?

Waves-displacement refers to the physical movement of matter caused by the passage of a wave, while movement refers to the change in position of an object over time.

2. How are waves-displacement and movement related?

Waves-displacement and movement are related in that the displacement of matter caused by a wave ultimately leads to the movement of objects, such as when a wave causes a boat to move up and down.

3. Can waves-displacement exist without movement?

No, waves-displacement cannot exist without movement. The displacement of matter caused by a wave will always result in some form of movement.

4. Are all types of movement caused by waves-displacement?

No, not all types of movement are caused by waves-displacement. There are many other factors that can cause movement, such as gravity, friction, and human actions.

5. How does understanding waves-displacement vs movement impact our daily lives?

Understanding waves-displacement vs movement can help us better understand and predict natural phenomena, such as ocean currents, tides, and seismic waves. It can also help us design and build structures that can withstand the forces of waves and other types of movement.