1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves equation

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1
    a wave equation is given as A = A cos (kx - ωt)

so why if someone describes the wave equation to be A = A sin (ωt - kx) , the argument of the sin function changes by a minus sign?

and is there a meaning to it?

also i still don't really understand why the minus sign in the first equation signifies wave moving forward whereas a + sign signifies wave moving backwards ...

thanks a lot for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2
    kx - ωt = kx' - ωt' if both x' > x and t' > t. => The same wave value A cos(kx - ωt) propagates with time in positive x direction.

4. Nov 13, 2009 #3
    You dont have a wave equation there, you have solutions to a wave equation.

As well, since cos(-z) = cos(z), i.e. cos is an even function you can write the cos solution as A cos (ωt - kx) if you wish.

The general solution to the wave equation is
    Acos(wt - kx) + Bsin(wt -kx)
    where A and B are determined by the initial or boundary conditions
    If you wrote the general solution in terms of (kx - wt) then the sign of the factor multiplying the sin function would change to accoomdate this.

5. Nov 13, 2009 #4
    oh...

so cos (kx - ωt) = cos (ωt- kx ) because it is an even function.

so whats the difference if we choose to write it in sin instead?

6. Nov 13, 2009 #5
    You can write in either way. The initial/boundary conditions will determine the signs and values of coefficients A and B in the general solution Acos(wt - kx) + Bsin(wt -kx).

7. Nov 13, 2009 #6
    oh i see thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook