1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Waves frequency

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One end of a string of mass 1.45 g and length 50.0 cm is attached to a frequency generator and the other end to a weight holder which hangs over a fixed pulley . The part of the string between the generator and the pulley is horizontal . THe string is set to vibrate . Several weights are added until a fundamental frequency of 120 Hz is achieved . Calculate the tension in the string when the fundamental frequency is achieved .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

f=v/2L

120=v/(2 x0.05)

v=120 m/s

not really sure whether this is even an attempt . I do not know how to link the v i got here to tension in the string .

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Try to find the relation between tension, mass per unit length and the velocity of the wave in the stretched string.

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3
    i am not sure how to relate them since the unit of tension is kgm/s^2 , mass per unit length is kg/m and velocity , m/s

how can i combine m/s and kg/m to get kgm/s^2 ?

5. Mar 27, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

What is the value of
    [tex]\sqrt{\frac{kgm/s^2}{kg/m} = ?}[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook