Waves frequency

Homework Statement

One end of a string of mass 1.45 g and length 50.0 cm is attached to a frequency generator and the other end to a weight holder which hangs over a fixed pulley . The part of the string between the generator and the pulley is horizontal . THe string is set to vibrate . Several weights are added until a fundamental frequency of 120 Hz is achieved . Calculate the tension in the string when the fundamental frequency is achieved .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f=v/2L

120=v/(2 x0.05)

v=120 m/s

not really sure whether this is even an attempt . I do not know how to link the v i got here to tension in the string .

Answers and Replies

rl.bhat
Homework Helper
Try to find the relation between tension, mass per unit length and the velocity of the wave in the stretched string.

Try to find the relation between tension, mass per unit length and the velocity of the wave in the stretched string.

i am not sure how to relate them since the unit of tension is kgm/s^2 , mass per unit length is kg/m and velocity , m/s

how can i combine m/s and kg/m to get kgm/s^2 ?

rl.bhat
Homework Helper
i am not sure how to relate them since the unit of tension is kgm/s^2 , mass per unit length is kg/m and velocity , m/s

how can i combine m/s and kg/m to get kgm/s^2 ?

What is the value of
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{kgm/s^2}{kg/m} = ?}[/tex]