1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves Frequency

1. Jan 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cord vibrates with a frequency of 3.0 Hz when a mass of 0.60kg is hung up from it. What is its frequency if only 0.38kg hangs from it?

2. Relevant equations

f= 1/2pi sqrt k/m
    3. The attempt at a solution
    3.0= 1/2pi sqrt ( k/0.6)
    k=213.18 N/m

f= 1/2pi sqrt (213.18/ 0.38)
    f= 37.2 Hz

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2016 #2
    The ratio between the masses is 60:38, so the ratio of frequencies is the square root of that.

But what is this about: an oscillating mass on an elastic string or a vibrating cord under tension?

4. Jan 17, 2016 #3
    @PietKuip it just says an elastic cord vibrates when a mass is hung from it. Also, what is wrong in my calculations is it that you are supposed to use grams for the mass?

5. Jan 17, 2016 #4
    Actually it can't be because I used kg that is what you are supposed to use.

6. Jan 17, 2016 #5
    Units don't matter, just use the ratio.

It is quite a difference if the mass is oscillating up and down on a string or whether the string is in a transverse oscillation without the mass moving. Different kinds of motion, different formulas apply.

7. Jan 17, 2016 #6
    @PietKuip I understand that the ratio method will work. But I am a bit concerned why what I did above did not work as my textbook specifically said to use that formula.

8. Jan 17, 2016 #7
    Weird textbook. How can one learn any physics that way? The wording suggests a different mode of motion than for the case where this formula applies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted