Solving Physics Homework: Frequency Change

In summary: What is the title of the book?In summary, the conversation discussed the frequency of vibration of an elastic cord with different masses hung from it. The formula for frequency was given and used to find the frequency when a 0.38kg mass was hung from the cord. It was determined that the ratio between the masses was important in finding the frequency. However, there was some confusion regarding whether the mass was oscillating on a string or if the string itself was vibrating. The use of units was also discussed, but it was concluded that the ratio method would work regardless of units used. The textbook used for reference was questioned for its accuracy and effectiveness in teaching physics.
Scholar1

Homework Statement

A cord vibrates with a frequency of 3.0 Hz when a mass of 0.60kg is hung up from it. What is its frequency if only 0.38kg hangs from it?

Homework Equations

f= 1/2pi sqrt k/m

The Attempt at a Solution

3.0= 1/2pi sqrt ( k/0.6)
k=213.18 N/m

f= 1/2pi sqrt (213.18/ 0.38)
f= 37.2 Hz[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
The ratio between the masses is 60:38, so the ratio of frequencies is the square root of that.

But what is this about: an oscillating mass on an elastic string or a vibrating cord under tension?

@PietKuip it just says an elastic cord vibrates when a mass is hung from it. Also, what is wrong in my calculations is it that you are supposed to use grams for the mass?

Actually it can't be because I used kg that is what you are supposed to use.

Units don't matter, just use the ratio.

It is quite a difference if the mass is oscillating up and down on a string or whether the string is in a transverse oscillation without the mass moving. Different kinds of motion, different formulas apply.

@PietKuip I understand that the ratio method will work. But I am a bit concerned why what I did above did not work as my textbook specifically said to use that formula.

Weird textbook. How can one learn any physics that way? The wording suggests a different mode of motion than for the case where this formula applies.

What is frequency change in physics?

Frequency change in physics refers to the change in the number of oscillations or cycles per unit time of a wave or periodic phenomenon. It is typically measured in hertz (Hz) and can be affected by various factors such as wavelength, amplitude, and medium.

Why is understanding frequency change important in physics?

Understanding frequency change is important in physics because it is a fundamental concept that helps explain various phenomena, such as sound and light waves, electromagnetic radiation, and even the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles. It also plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as telecommunications, electronics, and medical imaging.

What are some common formulas used to calculate frequency change?

The most common formula used to calculate frequency change is f = 1/T, where f is frequency and T is the period of the wave. Other formulas include f = v/λ, where v is the speed of the wave and λ is the wavelength, and f = n√(g/L), where n is the number of oscillations, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the string or pendulum.

How can I solve problems involving frequency change?

To solve problems involving frequency change, you can follow these steps: 1) Identify the given variables and determine what the problem is asking for. 2) Choose the appropriate formula to use based on the given information. 3) Substitute the values into the formula and solve for the unknown variable. 4) Check your answer and make sure it has the correct unit of measurement.

What are some tips for mastering frequency change in physics?

Some tips for mastering frequency change in physics include understanding the basic principles and formulas, practicing with different types of problems, and visualizing the concepts through diagrams or animations. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor, and to review and reinforce your understanding through quizzes and exercises.