1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves in water storage tank

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I need to find a solution to the following problem:

A 45000 bbls water storage tank has a 24" water inlet, the water that enters the tank is causing a lot of waves. These waves are causing damage to an oil skimmer float located in the surface of the water.

Our client wants to find a method to avoid these waves, any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Wfjer.
    Does the inlet lie below or above the waterline? In other words, is the water splashing in from a height or causing subsurface turbulence?
    I'm thinking along the line of a baffle system if the latter, or a flow-director if the former.

4. Apr 14, 2009 #3
    Do the waves have any standing wave characteristics, meaning any relation to the diameter of the tank? The standing waves could be any combination of radial and azimuthal.

5. Apr 14, 2009 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Baffles.

6. Apr 15, 2009 #5
    The tank has an horizontal 24" inlet at 4' from ground and the flow is 200000 BWPD.

@Bob S
    I really not sure of the waves characteristics, but they are big enough to damage internal devices inside the tank.

7. Apr 15, 2009 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

By your description, the inlet will set up some serious rotational flow in the tank. Can you modify the inlet pipe to the tank to have it take a 90° turn and direct at the bottom of the tank? It seems like you would also want to flare it out as much as possible to get the velocity down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook