1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves in wires/strings

1. Aug 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been writing up a Physics Experiment with working out the speed of waves in a wire.
    The wire is stretched across two points which send vibrational pulses down the wire. I am stuck with working out the Mass of the wire throw theoretical methods? hope anyone can help.....

2. Relevant equations
    Wave speed=122ms-1
    Mass of length=?

Wave speed=(tension T/mass per unit length)1/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    My answer mass=.21029gm^2, just not sure if this is right, it sounds to light for the length of the wire. hope anyone has any ideas ;)
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to pay better attention to your units. How could the wire have a mass in g 2? is not mass just grams? Also in your post you give the Tension in N 1/2 ??? What is that?

All you need do is solve your given expression for mass per unit length. This quantity will have units of [itex] \frac {kg} m [/itex]. Then multiply by your length to get a result in kg.
  4. Aug 3, 2008 #3
    right I see what you mean, sorry about N 1/2 i meant the tension is in newtons to the power of a half, but i understand why i went wrong, thanks for the help. Cheers Intergral
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?