Max Interference at x=200: Waves & Interference HW

In summary: Finally, we can solve for d:d = \sqrt{(200^{2} - \left(\frac{3.2 \times 10^{6}}{m}\right)^{2})}So in summary, to find the point of maximum interference at x = 200, you need to find the value of d that satisfies the equation: d = \sqrt{(200^{2} - \left(\frac{3.2 \times 10^{6}}{m}\right)^{2})}. To do this, you will need to substitute in different values for m (starting with the smallest possible integer) and solve for d until you find the value of d that gives
TalonStriker

Homework Statement

There are 2 in-phase radio wave generators at x = 100 and x = 200. The frequency of each wave is 3.2 MHz. Find spot closest to x = 200 such that the interference at that point is maximum.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta\Phi = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} \Delta x + \Phi_{0}[/tex]
[tex]v = c = f\lambda[/tex] c = speed of light

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that point d was close to x = 300. So that
[tex]\Delta x = (100-d) - d[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x = (100 - 2d)[/tex]

[tex] 2\pi m = \frac{2\pi}{c/f} (100 - 2d) + 0 [/tex] for some integer m; \Phi_{0} = 0 since the waves are in-phase

[tex] m = \frac{1}{c/f} (100 - 2d)[/tex] cancel out 2 * pi

[tex]c/f * m = (100 - 2d)[/tex]

[tex](c/f * m ) - 100= 2d[/tex]

[tex] d = \frac{(c/f * m) - 100}{2} [/tex]Ignoring d, I solved for m such that [tex]\frac{(c/f * m) - 100}{2} [/tex] was equal to 300. Using the m i found (rounding it to nearest integer), i plugged it back into [tex] d = \frac{(c/f * m) - 100}{2} [/tex] to find d.

Is the method I used correct? What did I do wrong? (Could you please provide me the correct answer & method...i have an exam in 5 hours).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Your method is on the right track, but there are a few errors in your calculations. Let's go through it step by step:

1. First, let's define our variables:
- x = 200 (position of one generator)
- d = unknown distance from x = 200 to the point of maximum interference
- \lambda = 3.2 MHz (wavelength of the radio waves)
- m = integer (used to represent the number of wavelengths between the two generators)

2. Next, let's set up our equation for the phase difference:
\Delta\Phi = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} \Delta x + \Phi_{0}

Since the waves are in-phase, \Phi_{0} = 0. So our equation becomes:
\Delta\Phi = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} \Delta x

3. Now, we can plug in our known values:
\Delta\Phi = \frac{2\pi}{3.2 \times 10^{6}} \Delta x

4. We also know that at the point of maximum interference, the phase difference should be a multiple of 2\pi. So we can set \Delta\Phi = 2\pi m, where m is an integer.

5. Combining these two equations, we get:
2\pi m = \frac{2\pi}{3.2 \times 10^{6}} \Delta x

6. Solving for \Delta x, we get:
\Delta x = \frac{3.2 \times 10^{6}}{m}

7. Now, we want to find the value of d, which is the distance from x = 200 to the point of maximum interference. We can do this by using the Pythagorean theorem:
d^{2} + \Delta x^{2} = (200 - x)^{2}

Substituting in our value for \Delta x, we get:
d^{2} + \left(\frac{3.2 \times 10^{6}}{m}\right)^{2} = (200 - x)^{2}

8. We can simplify this equation by substituting in our known values for x and \lambda:
d^{2} + \left(\frac{3.2 \times 10^{6}}{m}\right)^{2} = (200

I cannot provide you with the exact answer without knowing the specific values for c (speed of light) and f (frequency). However, your approach seems correct in using the equation \Delta\Phi = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} \Delta x + \Phi_{0} to find the point of maximum interference. The value of \Delta\Phi should be equal to 2\pi or a multiple of 2\pi for maximum interference to occur.

To find the value of m, you can use the equation \Delta\Phi = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} \Delta x + \Phi_{0} and plug in the values of \Delta\Phi and \Delta x (which is 100 - 2d) and solve for m. Once you find the value of m, you can plug it back into the equation d = \frac{(c/f * m) - 100}{2} to find the value of d.

In summary, your approach seems correct, but make sure to use the correct values of c and f and solve for m before finding the value of d. Good luck on your exam!

1. What is "Max Interference"?

Max Interference refers to the maximum level of interference that occurs when two or more waves overlap at a specific point. This point is often denoted as "x=200" and can be found by calculating the distance between wave peaks or troughs.

2. How is interference measured?

Interference is typically measured using a device called an interference pattern analyzer, which can detect and quantify the level of interference between waves. This device works by analyzing the intensity and phase of the waves at a specific point, such as x=200.

3. What factors can affect interference at x=200?

Several factors can affect the level of interference at x=200, including the amplitude and wavelength of the waves, the distance between the sources of the waves, and the medium through which the waves are traveling. Any changes to these factors can alter the interference pattern at x=200.

4. How does interference at x=200 impact the overall wave pattern?

The level of interference at x=200 can significantly impact the overall wave pattern. When there is maximum interference, the amplitude of the waves will be either increased or decreased, depending on the type of interference (constructive or destructive). This can result in a more complex and varied wave pattern.

5. What practical applications does understanding interference at x=200 have?

Understanding interference at x=200 is crucial in many areas of science and technology. It is particularly important in optics, where interference patterns are used to create holograms and diffraction gratings. It is also essential in fields such as acoustics and radio communications, where interference can affect the quality of sound and signal transmission.