Solving a Wave Problem: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter ubiquinone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the problem involves finding the displacement of a string at a specific point and time using the equation for a standing wave. The equation for a standing wave is a combination of a traveling wave and its reflection. By understanding how a wave is reflected from a hard boundary, one can determine the two wave equations to add together. Using this information, the displacement of the string can be calculated at a given point and time.
ubiquinone
Hi there, I'm trying to teach myself some concepts involving waves. I tried a problem from an old physics exercise book, but I am having difficulty in getting the correct answer. I was wondering if someone can please point me into the right direction or show me a link where I can read more about this kind of stuff. Thank You!

Question: A string, fixed at both ends, oscillates at its fundamental frequency. The length of the string is [tex]60.0cm[/tex], the speed of the wave is [tex]140m/s[/tex], and the maximum displacement of a point at the middle of the string is [tex]1.40mm[/tex] and occurs at [tex]t=0.00s[/tex]. Calculate the displacement of the string at [tex]x=20.0cm[/tex] and [tex]t=0.0380s[/tex].

I think the general equation of a wave is [tex]y=A\cos(kx+\omega t-\phi)[/tex], where [tex]A[/tex] is the amplitude, [tex]k=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex], [tex]\omega = 2\pi f[/tex] and [tex]\phi = \frac{2\pi\times\text{phaseshift}}{\lambda}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone happen to know how to do this?

ubiquinone said:
I think the general equation of a wave is [tex]y=A\cos(kx+\omega t-\phi)[/tex]

This is for a traveling wave. Your question is about a standing wave. If your book doesn't discuss standing waves, first try a Google search for "standing wave" (with the quotes, to keep the words together).

Hi jtbell! Thank you very much for replying to my question. I read up some more information regarding standing waves from a few resource sites. Particularly I learned a lot more about their properties from here:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/standw.html and
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/standw.html#c4
However, I've still not figured out how to solve this problem. May you please offer me with another hint on how to solve this problem? I'm willing to try. Thank you again!

Try this link instead: http://www.cord.edu/dept/physics/p128/lecture99_35.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, a standing wave is just a traveling wave + its reflection. When two waves encounter one another, the resultant wave is just the sum of the two waves. For instance, the equation for a standing wave that occurs between a sound source and a wall is the result of adding the first wave to the reflected wave.

The equation for a standing wave on a string is given by doing the same thing with a wave and its reflection. Since both ends of the string are fixed, the displacement is always zero at those end points. If you can figure out how a wave is reflected from a hard boundary (it is phase-shifted 180 degrees (pi radians)) you'll know which two wave equations to add together.

Hi I tried the problem again and I hope someone could please check over my work. Thank You!

The equation for a standing wave: [tex]\displaystyle y(x,t)=[2y_m\sin(kx)]\cos(\omega t)[/tex]
Since [tex]\frac{1}{2}\lambda=L\Leftrightarrow \lambda =2L[/tex]
Thus, [tex]k=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}=\frac{2\pi}{2 L}=\frac{\pi}{L}[/tex]
Also, [tex]v=f\lambda\Leftrightarrow f=\frac{v}{\lambda}[/tex]
Therefore, [tex]\omega= 2\pi f=\frac{2\pi v}{\lambda}=\frac{2\pi v}{2L}=\frac{\pi v}{L}[/tex]
The standing wave equation could then be expressed as:
[tex]\displaystyle y=(x,t)=\left[2y_m\sin\left[\left(\frac{\pi}{L}x\right)\right]\cos\left(\frac{\pi v}{L}t\right)[/tex]
When [tex]x=30 cm[/tex] and at time, [tex]t=0[/tex],
[tex]\displaystyle y(30,0)=\left [ 2y_m\sin\left(\frac{30\pi}{60}\right )\right ]\cos(0)=1.40mm[/tex]
Solving for [tex]y_m[/tex]: [tex]\displaystyle y_m\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=0.7\Leftrightarrow y_m=0.7mm[/tex]
When [tex]x=20 cm[/tex] and at time [tex]t=0.0380s[/tex] and substituting [tex]y_m=0.7mm[/tex], we get
[tex]\displaystyle y(20,0.0380)=\left [ 2(0.7mm)\sin\left(\frac{20\pi}{60}\right )\right ]\cos\left(\frac{\pi\times 140m/s}{0.60m}(0.0380s)\right )[/tex]
We have [tex]\displaystyle y(20,0.0380) = -1.107mm\approx -1.11mm[/tex]

1. What is a wave problem?

A wave problem is a type of scientific problem that involves analyzing and solving equations related to the motion of waves. This can include understanding the behavior of different types of waves, such as sound waves or electromagnetic waves, and predicting their properties and interactions.

2. What are the steps for solving a wave problem?

The steps for solving a wave problem typically include identifying the type of wave and its properties, setting up the appropriate equations, solving for the unknown variables, and interpreting the results. It is also important to double-check the units and make sure all calculations are accurate.

3. How do I know which equations to use for a wave problem?

The equations used for solving wave problems depend on the type of wave and the specific properties being analyzed. It is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of wave motion and to refer to resources such as textbooks or online references for the appropriate equations.

4. Can I use any units when solving a wave problem?

No, it is important to use consistent units when solving a wave problem. Typically, the units for wavelength, frequency, and velocity are measured in meters, hertz, and meters per second, respectively. It is also important to convert units if necessary to ensure all calculations are accurate.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a wave problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a wave problem include using incorrect equations, not double-checking units, and making arithmetic errors. It is also important to carefully analyze the problem and make sure all necessary information is included. It can also be helpful to check the solution using alternative methods or resources to ensure accuracy.