Finding A5 in a System of Equations

In summary, the question is asking for the wave equation for a semi-infinite string of mass per unit length attached to a second string of length a and attached at x=0 to a third (semi-infinite) string of mass per unit length. The wave equation must be satisfied for x<0, 0<x<a, and x>a. The boundary conditions are that the wave propagates in regions I, II, and III. Tension F must be satisfied at x=0 and x=a.
unscientific

Homework Statement

o8rmna.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ofnkv6.jpg

The 4 main equations are equations (1), (2), (7) and (8).
But I can't seem to isolate A5 alone as solving equations (7) and (8) will make A5 disappear..

2d9pfl4.jpg

I got the relation between A1, A2, A3 and A4 but still no A5..

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use that the incoming wave has unit amplitude?

Simon Bridge said:
Did you use that the incoming wave has unit amplitude?

Despite that, the equations 7 and 8 have a exp term, how do i get rid of that to find just the amplitude A5?

I have recently given it another go:

3347nmr.png

I've ended up with these 4 equations. The question wants us to find A5.

But surely A5 must be exponential? in order to make the resultant term on the RHS of equations (3) and (4) non-exponential. Also, when I tried to express A5 in terms of A1, A2, A3 or A4 I can't, cause equations (3) and (4) sort of make A5 ' cancel out '

I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Here's the typed out question:

A semi-infinite string of mass per unit length p1 lies along the negative x-axis and is attached at x=0 to a second string of length a, with mass per unit length p2, lying along the positive x-axis. The end of this string at x=a is attached to a third (semi-infinite) string of mass per unit length p3 which lies along the positive x-axis. The combined string is under tension F.

A wave of unit amplitude, frequency w and wavelength λ1 traveling from negative towards positive x is incident at the joint x = 0. Write down expressions for the waves propagating in these three regions:

I: x<0
II: 0<x<a
III: x>a.

What are the boundary conditions that need to be satisfied at x = 0 and x = a? For the case of a = λ2, the wavelength of the propagating wave in region II, find the transmitted amplitude T3 in region III, in terms of p1, p2 and tension.

I've ended up with these 4 equations. The question wants us to find A5.
You forgot to put ##a=\lambda_2 \; (=2\pi/k_2)## in some of those equations, and I think there should be a k1 in there somewhere. I'm also a bit concerned about the signs in there.

But surely A5 must be exponential? in order to make the resultant term on the RHS of equations (3) and (4) non-exponential.
But it's only exponential in a constant ratio, so why does that matter?

Also, when I tried to express A5 in terms of A1, A2, A3 or A4 I can't, cause equations (3) and (4) sort of make A5 ' cancel out
You can cancel A5 that way - but only to get a relation between A3 and A4 ... but that does not make A5 unfindable, you just have to use a different substitution.

It helps to change notation to something simpler ... i.e. put p,q,r in place of k1,2,3 respectively, and put z=exp[-ik3a] or whatever that turns out to be. Then make A=A2 and B,C,D=A3,4,5. Now it should be easier to track the variables - notice that p,q,r and z are all constants?

Once you've checked your algebra, you have only to row-reduce the matrix of coefficients of A,B,C,D.

Last edited:

1. What is a "3-piece string" in relation to waves?

A 3-piece string refers to a system in which a string is divided into three equal segments, each with a different tension. This can be used to study the behavior of waves as they travel through the string.

2. How do waves behave on a 3-piece string compared to a single string?

On a 3-piece string, waves will exhibit different properties such as reflection, refraction, and interference due to the varying tensions in each segment. This can result in more complex wave patterns compared to a single string with a uniform tension.

3. What factors affect the behavior of waves on a 3-piece string?

The tension in each segment, the length of each segment, and the frequency of the wave all play a role in determining the behavior of waves on a 3-piece string.

4. Can waves on a 3-piece string be used to model real-life phenomena?

Yes, waves on a 3-piece string can be used to model various phenomena such as sound waves in musical instruments, seismic waves in geology, and electromagnetic waves in physics.

5. How are waves on a 3-piece string relevant to scientific research?

Studying waves on a 3-piece string can provide insights into the behavior of waves in different types of media and can be applied to various fields such as engineering, acoustics, and seismology. It also allows scientists to better understand the fundamental properties of waves and how they interact with different environments.