Why Does Rain Create Waves on My Street? - Investigating Fluid Mechanics

In summary, when rain falls on the street, it creates waves due to the principles of fluid mechanics. This is because the surface tension of the rainwater, along with the movement of the wind and the uneven surface of the road, causes the water to ripple and form waves. These waves can become even larger and more noticeable during heavy rainfall or if the street has a slope, as the water will flow and accumulate in certain areas. Understanding the science behind this phenomenon can help us better understand and predict the effects of rain on our streets.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
Why does water running down a hill come in waves
Hello

(Perhaps this should be in physics, but perhaps it should be mechanical engineering (fluid mechanics).

I attach a picture of water running down the street near my house.

The street is a nearly constant 15 degree incline that goes on for about 1 kilo-meter with no speed bumps.

The pictures is taken during a light rain.

I realize the indentations (the channels in which the water is running) is caused by the tire indentations over the years.

But why do we see waves? (You can see them in the picture here). The water is falling as a constant, relatively thin rain, and yet I see these waves.

Could someone explain why this happens?

Attachments

• Waves.jpg
    Waves.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 97
Engineering news on Phys.org
anuttarasammyak said:
It is soliton of non linear physics. If I remember correctly KdV equation describes it. Ref. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korteweg–De_Vries_equation
OK... I see there is an explanation... It is beyond me.

But, in the spirit of Feynman (one must be able to explain it in words) can someone explain it in words?

Trying2Learn said:
But, in the spirit of Feynman (one must be able to explain it in words) can someone explain it in words?
For thin sheets of water the flow is laminar. As the depth of the sheet increases the upper layers travel faster. An irregular thickness results in the peaks traveling faster and increasing in depth as the peak overtakes and collects slower water. The peak becomes steeper until the wave breaks and the flow becomes turbulent. That turbulent wave tumbling down the slope is what your eye will see. Behind the wave only a thin film remains, until another wave overtakes it again.

Likes anuttarasammyak, russ_watters and Trying2Learn
Baluncore said:
For thin sheets of water the flow is laminar. As the depth of the sheet increases the upper layers travel faster. An irregular thickness results in the peaks traveling faster and increasing in depth as the peak overtakes and collects slower water. The peak becomes steeper until the wave breaks and the flow becomes turbulent. That turbulent wave tumbling down the slope is what your eye will see. Behind the wave only a thin film remains, until another wave overtakes it again.
thank you very much!

Likes berkeman
There was nothing obvious at the upstream end of the culvert to account for these "waves".

Likes Trying2Learn
I suspect what you are seeing is the water analogy of a microwave "corrugated waveguide", fed by a steady flow. The corrugations can store water in each trough, which makes what is called a "slow wave structure". The depth of water increases until overflow of a corrugation triggers a single fast wave that forms and dumps water at a faster rate than the slow wave structure would normally flow.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow-wave_coupler
https://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedias/slow-wave-structures
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/pfr/5/0/5_0_S2091/_pdf
https://digital-library.theiet.org/content/journals/10.1049/piee.1969.0043

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary

1. Why does rain create waves on my street?

Rain creates waves on streets because of the interaction between the raindrops and the surface of the street. When rain falls on a flat surface, it creates a thin layer of water that is not evenly distributed. As more rain falls, the water accumulates and creates small bumps or waves on the surface.

2. How does fluid mechanics play a role in this phenomenon?

Fluid mechanics is the study of how fluids (such as water) behave and interact with their surroundings. In the case of rain creating waves on streets, fluid mechanics explains the behavior of the raindrops and the surface of the street, and how they interact to create the waves.

3. Are there any factors that affect the size and shape of the waves?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the size and shape of the waves created by rain on streets. These include the intensity of the rain, the slope and texture of the street surface, and the speed and direction of the wind. All of these factors can influence how the raindrops interact with the surface and the resulting wave patterns.

4. Can this phenomenon be observed in other bodies of water?

Yes, this phenomenon can be observed in other bodies of water such as lakes, rivers, and oceans. In these cases, the waves are created by the interaction between the water and the wind, rather than rain. However, the same principles of fluid mechanics apply in both cases.

5. Is there any practical application of studying rain-induced waves on streets?

Studying rain-induced waves on streets falls under the field of hydrology, which is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of water on land. This information can be used for urban planning and engineering, such as designing drainage systems and mitigating flood risks. Additionally, understanding fluid mechanics in this context can also have applications in other fields such as meteorology and climate science.