1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Waves on a string and motion

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The displacement y of a long string at position x and time t is given by

y(x,t) = cos (kx-wt) + sin (kx-wt)

Show that the motion of the string at any point is SHM.

3. The attempt at a solution

As far as i know this is something to do with adding 2 waves together and in this case we have a sinusoidal wave and a cosine wave. If one wave is the reflection of the other then a standing wave will develop, and i think that in this case a standing wave will develop and that would mean that the motion of the string is SHM.

Is that correct? Would there be a better explanation as to why the motion is in SHM.

p.s not homework, just past exam question.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2
    To prove the motion a SHM, just transform the displacement into the form of cosine or sine. In this problem, I think it's completely about mathematics.
    How would you prove that this is standing wave by the way?

4. Jun 15, 2010 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a standing wave, you must have two waves traveling in opposite directions -- not the case here, since both waves travel in the +x direction.

You could try the angle-addition formulas for sine and cosine, and work through the algebra.

Hope that helps.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook