Understanding the Equation for Waves on a String: Help Needed!

In summary: I had no idea my calculator was set on degrees. Thank you so much for your help.In summary, the conversation discusses a wave on a string described by the equation y = (15cm)cos(πx/5.0cm - πt/12s) and the process of sketching it for t = 0. The person asking for help is having trouble with their calculations and getting a straight line. The other person points out that their calculator is set to degrees instead of radians, leading to incorrect results.
ajmCane22

Homework Statement

A wave on a string is described by the following equation: y = (15cm)cos(πx/5.0cm - πt/12s). Sketch this wave from x = 0 to x = 10 cm for the t = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I've never seen this notation before. I have no idea how to interpret it. I tried googling some help and now I'm more confused. I tried setting t to 0 and putting different values for x in order to get a value for y, but I get 14.9... for every value of x, which gives me a straight line, and that answer was incorrect. It might be hard to explain this online, but I would appreciate it immensely if somebody would please try. I'm utterly lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Then you are doing something wrong in your calculations or choosing to few x's.
For instance, if x = 0 then y = 15, if x = 2,5 then y = 0, if x = 5 then y = -15 and so on.
How are you doing the calculations?

This is what I am doing:

Using x=2.5 for example,

t=0, so...
15 x cos[(pi*2.5)/5.0 - (pi*0)/12]
15 x cos(1.57 - 0)
15 x 0.9996 = 14.99

I'm obviously doing something wrong, because I know for x=2.5 y should equal 0

your calculator is set to degrees, it should be set to radians.

Omg...I feel like a complete moron.

1. What is the equation for waves on a string?

The equation for waves on a string is known as the wave equation and is expressed as:

d2y/dt2 = c2d2y/dx2

where c is the speed of the wave, y is the displacement of the string, and x is the position along the string.

2. What does the wave equation represent?

The wave equation represents the motion of a one-dimensional wave on a string. It describes how the displacement of the string changes over time and space.

3. How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation can be derived from the fundamental principles of classical mechanics, specifically the laws of motion and Newton's second law. It can also be derived using the principles of wave propagation and conservation of energy.

4. What factors affect the behavior of waves on a string?

The speed of the wave, the tension of the string, and the density of the string are the main factors that affect the behavior of waves on a string. The medium in which the string is placed can also have an impact on the behavior of the waves.

5. Can the wave equation be applied to other systems?

Yes, the wave equation can be applied to other systems, such as electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and even quantum mechanical systems. However, the specific form of the equation may vary depending on the properties of the system being studied.