1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves on a string equation

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wave on a string is described by the following equation: y = (15cm)cos(πx/5.0cm - πt/12s). Sketch this wave from x = 0 to x = 10 cm for the t = 0.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, I've never seen this notation before. I have no idea how to interpret it. I tried googling some help and now I'm more confused. I tried setting t to 0 and putting different values for x in order to get a value for y, but I get 14.9... for every value of x, which gives me a straight line, and that answer was incorrect. It might be hard to explain this online, but I would appreciate it immensely if somebody would please try. I'm utterly lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2

ojs

Then you are doing something wrong in your calculations or choosing to few x's.
    For instance, if x = 0 then y = 15, if x = 2,5 then y = 0, if x = 5 then y = -15 and so on.
    How are you doing the calculations?

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3
    This is what I am doing:

Using x=2.5 for example,

t=0, so...
    15 x cos[(pi*2.5)/5.0 - (pi*0)/12]
    15 x cos(1.57 - 0)
    15 x 0.9996 = 14.99

I'm obviously doing something wrong, because I know for x=2.5 y should equal 0

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4

ojs

your calculator is set to degrees, it should be set to radians.

6. Jun 15, 2011 #5
    Omg...I feel like a complete moron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook