Standing Waves on a String: True or False?

In summary, when a string of length L is stretched between two fixed points and plucked vertically, standing waves can be formed. The following statements are true in this situation: the waves on the string are transverse, the highest resonant frequency is called the fundamental, each end of the string must be a node, and it is possible for half a wavelength to fill the length of the string. However, the statement that the middle of the string can never be a node or an antinode is false.
BMWPower06

Homework Statement

A string of length L is stretched horizontally between two fixed points. When the string is plucked vertically, standing waves can be formed on the string. Which of the following statements are true about this situation?
True False The waves on the string are transverse waves
True False The highest resonant frequency is called the fundamental
True False Each end of the string must be a node
True False The middle of the string can never be a node or an antinode
True False It is possible for half a wavelength to fill the length of the string

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers are in bold, from reading through the chapter in my book i was able to come up with those answers, now the website says I am wrong but it doesn't tell me which one is wrong. Can any1 maybe help lead me in the right direction?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you give your reasons for your answers.

Thread moved from Advanced Physics to Intro Physics. BMW, I think you have an 80% so far. As Doc Al says, can you say a few words about each of your answers? Then we can help you try to get to 100%.

1. Is it true that standing waves on a string only occur when the string is fixed at both ends?

Yes, standing waves on a string require fixed boundaries at both ends in order to reflect the wave back and create the interference pattern necessary for a standing wave.

2. Are standing waves on a string always sinusoidal in shape?

Yes, standing waves on a string are always sinusoidal in shape because they are created by the superposition of two waves with equal amplitude and frequency, resulting in a sinusoidal interference pattern.

3. Can standing waves on a string have multiple nodes and antinodes?

Yes, standing waves on a string can have multiple nodes (points of zero amplitude) and antinodes (points of maximum amplitude) depending on the wavelength of the wave and the length of the string.

4. Is it true that standing waves on a string can only occur at specific frequencies?

Yes, standing waves on a string can only occur at specific frequencies, known as resonant frequencies. These frequencies are determined by the length and tension of the string, and only at these frequencies will the reflected waves interfere constructively to create a standing wave.

5. Can standing waves on a string be used to determine the speed of the wave?

Yes, the speed of a wave on a string can be determined by measuring the wavelength and frequency of the standing wave and applying the equation v = fλ, where v is the speed of the wave, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.