1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves on a string

1. Jun 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a string of length L tied down at both ends to fixed points on opposite walls. We are going to pluck the string and make standing waves of a certain fundamental frequency. In order to increase the frequency of the fundamental, which of the following parameters can be varied to accomplish this?
    True False use a thinner string
    True False increase the length of the string
    True False loosen the string
    True False use a thicker string
    True False tighten the string
    True False decrease the length of the string

3. The attempt at a solution
    My answers are in bold, not sure what im doing wrong, the computer program doesnt tell me:rolleyes: but can anyone help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2007 #2
    i got those answers from reading through the chapter, any1 know what im doing wrong?
  4. Jun 20, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

WHat's the formula for teh fundamental frequency? (in terms of the length, the linear mass density, the tension, etc)
  5. Jun 21, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Your answers look good to me, except for the last one.
  6. Jun 21, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

Second one is also wrong - increasing the length will decrease the fundamental frequency. That is it will vibrate at a lower frequency, if everything else is kept the same.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?