Displacement of String Waves at Point of Cross

In summary: So in summary, the net displacement of an element at the point where two pulses cross on a string that is attached to a post at one end would be zero if the string is rigidly fixed, and 2A if the end where reflection occurs is free to move up and down. This is because in a rigid system, the reflected pulse is inverted and cancels out with the incoming pulse, while in a free system, the reflected pulse is not inverted and adds to the incoming pulse, resulting in a displacement of 2A.
aliciagu

Homework Statement

A series of pulses, each with an amplitude of .150 m are sent down a string that is attached to a post at one end. The pulses are reflected back and travel back along the string with no loss of amplitude. What is the net displacement of an element at a point on the string where the 2 pulses cross a. if the string is rigidly attached, b. if the end at which reflection occurs is free to slide up and down.

Homework Equations

I know that in a rigidly fixed string, reflection inverts the waves, and if the string is free to move up and down, the reflected pulse is not inverted.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that in a rigid system, the net displacement where the two pulses cross would be zero, because that point would be a node. If the system is free to move, then I think that the net displacement at the point where the waves meet would be plus or minus A. Is my brain working right?

Physics news on Phys.org
aliciagu said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that in a rigid system, the net displacement where the two pulses cross would be zero, because that point would be a node.

Yes, the incoming and outgoing pulses are negatives of each other. Since waves add linearly, their sum is zero.

If the system is free to move, then I think that the net displacement at the point where the waves meet would be plus or minus A. Is my brain working right?

Hold up. Now the displacements of the incoming and outgoing waves have the same sign. How do numbers of the same sign add up?

So in the second one, the displacement would be 2A, because the sum of the 2 diplacements is (in this case) .300?

Now you've got it.

1. What is "Displacement of String Waves at Point of Cross"?

The displacement of string waves at point of cross refers to the change in position or amplitude of a wave on a string when it crosses another string or obstacle. This phenomenon can be observed in various string instruments, such as guitars and violins.

2. How does the displacement of string waves at point of cross affect the sound produced by a string instrument?

The displacement of string waves at point of cross can affect the sound produced by a string instrument by altering the pitch and tone of the sound. The amount of displacement can also determine the harmonics and overtones produced by the string.

3. What factors can influence the displacement of string waves at point of cross?

The displacement of string waves at point of cross can be influenced by various factors, such as the tension and thickness of the string, the angle of incidence, and the material and shape of the obstacle. Additionally, the speed and frequency of the wave can also affect the displacement.

4. How is the displacement of string waves at point of cross calculated?

The displacement of string waves at point of cross can be calculated using the principles of wave mechanics, such as the superposition principle and the Doppler effect. It can also be visualized and measured using equipment such as a oscilloscope or a stroboscope.

5. What are some practical applications of studying the displacement of string waves at point of cross?

Understanding the displacement of string waves at point of cross has various practical applications, such as in the design and tuning of string instruments, the development of acoustic technologies, and in the study of wave behavior and interference. It also has applications in fields such as music, engineering, and physics.