Propagation Speed of a Wave on a String: Exploring the Wave Equation

In summary, the book explains the result of the propagation speed of a wave on a string using the wave equation. The wave equation is applicable to all kinds of waves, as it governs the propagation of a disturbance. The inwards force on a string is indeed proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium line, as long as the displacement is small. This is due to the common occurrence of a restoring force that is proportional to displacement.
aaaa202
My book derives the result of what the propagation speed of a wave on a string is:
v = √(F/mu)
It did it using the wave equation, so I wonna ask something about this equation. My book started on waves by describing waves that are harmonic, i.e. inwards force line proportional to the the displacement from the equilibrium. Therefrom they derived the wave equation. But I'm pretty sure, that the wave equation is more general and provides a more deep description. Isn't it so? I mean, isn't it applicable for all kinds of waves?
They then derived the result for v by showing that the string can be described by the wave equation. Does this then mean, that the inwards force is indeed proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium line on a string?

Physics news on Phys.org
First: your last sentence... The answer is: yes, provided the displacement is small. You show this by considering components of the string tension which are transverse to the general line of the string.

Next: "Isn't [the wave equation] applicable to all kinds of waves?" Yes, but by definition: a wave can pretty much be defined as a propagating disturbance obeying the wave equation. There's no substitute for showing, in each individual case (e.g longitudinal disturbances in a gas, electric or magnetic field changes) that the wave equation governs the propagation. Only then can you know you have a wave!

That's a pretty complete answer, but let me add one more thing to help you understand why the wave equation, derived the way you mention, is so ubiquitous. At first glance, you might think a restoring force that is proportional to displacement from equilibrium is fairly arbitrary or rare, but it is actually very common indeed. The reason is, if you have an equilibrium, then the force is zero there, and if the force depends on position (fairly common), then you can "Taylor expand" the force as a function of small displacements. A Taylor expansion gives you a series whose first term has no displacement dependence, but here that has to be zero, because we have an equilibrium. The next term is, you guessed it, proportional to displacement, and all higher terms have displacement to some power >1, which will be very small corrections when the displacement is small.

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves on a string. It relates the speed of a wave to the tension and density of the string.

2. How does the tension and density of a string affect the propagation speed of a wave?

The wave equation shows that the propagation speed of a wave on a string is directly proportional to the square root of the tension and inversely proportional to the square root of the density of the string. This means that increasing the tension or decreasing the density of the string will result in a faster propagation speed.

3. What factors can affect the propagation speed of a wave on a string?

Apart from tension and density, other factors that can affect the propagation speed of a wave on a string include the length and thickness of the string, and the medium through which the wave is traveling.

4. How is the wave equation used in real-life applications?

The wave equation is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and music to predict and analyze the behavior of waves on strings. It is also used in designing musical instruments, calculating the speed of sound in different materials, and studying the behavior of seismic waves.

5. Can the wave equation also be applied to other types of waves?

Yes, the wave equation can be applied to other types of waves such as electromagnetic waves and water waves, as long as the medium through which the wave is traveling is continuous and uniform.