1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves on water

1. Jan 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A water wave traveling in a straight line on a lake is described by the equation
    [itex]y(x,t)=(3.75\,\text{cm})\cos(0.450\,\text{cm}^{-1}x+5.40\,\text{s}^{−1}t)[/itex]
    where [itex]y[/itex] is the displacement perpendicular to the undisturbed surface of the lake.

How much time does it take for one complete wave pattern to go past a fisherman in a boat at anchor?

What horizontal distance does the wave crest travel in that time?
    2. Relevant equations

[itex]\omega = 2\pi f[/itex]
    [itex]k=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This is part of an online test we were asked to submit. For the first part I got [itex]t=1.16\,\text{s}[/itex] which was correct. For the second part I got the wavelength as the answer, [itex]\lambda = \frac{2\pi}{0.0045} \approx 1396\,\text{m}[/itex]. However, the online assessment tells me that the correct answer is [itex]0.140\,\text{m}[/itex].

Can anyone explain where I went wrong?

(This is also question 15.10 in University Physics with Modern Physics International Edition, 13th Edition, if anyone should happen to have the solution manual to such a thing)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

Your error is in converting 0.450cm−1 to m-1. You've handled it as though converting from cm to m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted