1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves - Pendulums

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure below shows the kinetic energy K of a simple pendulum versus its angle θ from the vertical. The pendulum bob has mass 0.260 kg. What is the length of the pendulum?
    W0353-N.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    K=(1/2)mv2
    U=mgh
    x(t)=xm*cos(w*t+phi)

*where w is the angular frequency, and the wt + phi being the phase

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically I have gone through a series of approaches to this problem, but I have come to settle with this one:

I started by getting phi from the graph, .100 radians. Then, I attempted to relate gravitational potential energy to the max kinetic energy that was given from the graph (.015 J). This way, I could get h, and relate h to the maximum angle and the pendulum length. To do that, I would use x(t)=xm*cos(w*t+phi). I'm not sure if I should use the simple pendulum equations, but I don't think I need to know the inertia.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

x(t)=xm*cos(w*t+phi)
    From the above equation find the maximum velocity x(t)=xm*cos(w*t+phi)m.
    KE is given. Mass is given. Find the value of Vm.
    Since angular displacement is only 0.1 rad, it is SHM.
    In SHM f = -kx, ...(1)
    In simple pendulum, restoring force = -mg(theta) = -mgx/L......(2)
    From eq. 1 and 2. find the value of k = mg/L ......(3)
    From 3 find the value of omega. And proceed.

4. Apr 6, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the help. : ) I computed the answer to be 1.177 m. This checked out. I understand the methodology behind it too, thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook