Waves and Phases: Understanding 90 and 180 Degrees Out of Phase

In summary, two sine waves that are inverted are 180 degrees out of phase, not 90 degrees as your teacher said. To graph waves that are 90 or 270 degrees out of phase, shift one wave 90 degrees left or 90 degrees right, respectively. Waves that are 360 degrees out of phase are the same as 0 degrees out of phase. When two waves are 180 degrees out of phase, they cancel each other out.
jsmith613
I believe I was mitaught something in class so would like to double check.

If I had two sin waves, but one was inverted, would the waves be 180o out of phase. (my teacher said 90 degress out of phase)

If so, how would I draw a graph where the waves are 90 o / 270 o out of phase

thanks

also, is 360 degrees out of phase the same as 0 degrees out of phase?

if waves are 180 degress out of phase do they cancel each other out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not going to answer those all those questions...but if you graph or look at a graph of the sine and cosine functions you can figure them out for yourself...then you'll understand.

Note that a simple sine function graph starts from the origin (zero) and increases to a maximum at 90 degrees...the cosine function starts at a maximum and decreases to zero at 90 degress...

How do you make one look like the other? Look at the graphs...use the Y symmetry axis
as your reference...
If you shift a sine wave 90 degress left it looks just like a cosine; shift a cosine wave 90 degrees right it looks just like a sine wave...

Here is one set of graphs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosine_wave

To answer your questions:
Yes (your teacher is wrong)
(see Naty1's answer)
Yes
Yes

1. What is meant by being 90 degrees out of phase?

Being 90 degrees out of phase refers to the relationship between two waves where one wave reaches its maximum amplitude while the other wave reaches its minimum amplitude. This results in the two waves being exactly one-quarter cycle out of sync with each other.

2. How is a wave's phase measured?

A wave's phase is measured in degrees, with 360 degrees representing one full cycle. This means that being 90 degrees out of phase is equivalent to being one-quarter of a cycle out of sync.

3. What does it mean to be 180 degrees out of phase?

Being 180 degrees out of phase means that two waves are exactly half a cycle out of sync with each other. This means that when one wave reaches its maximum amplitude, the other wave reaches its minimum amplitude, and vice versa.

4. How do waves become out of phase?

Waves become out of phase when they have different frequencies or when there is a phase shift introduced by a medium or a barrier. This can also occur when two waves are produced by two different sources, such as in interference patterns.

5. Why is understanding phase important in science?

Understanding phase is important in science because it helps us to understand how waves interact with each other and how they can produce different patterns and behaviors. This knowledge is essential in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electronics, where understanding wave interactions is crucial for developing technologies and solving real-world problems.