1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves Problem

1. Feb 24, 2007 #1
    A periodic longitudinal wave that has a frequency of 20.0 Hz travels along a coil spring. If the distance between successive compressions is 0.400 m, what is the speed of the wave?

my answer:
    T=1/20=0.05 sec

v=d/t= 0.400 meter/ 0.05 second= 8 m/s

there is other question but i couldn't figure it out because i don't know how i can use pulses to get frequency or period

the question is

A wave generator produces 16.0 pulses in 4.00 s.
    a. What is its period?

b. What is its frequency?

can i know what pulse really mean, and if i am right by saying frequency will be 16/2=8 hertz
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Your answer for for the second problem isn't quite correct. Why are you dividing by 2 and not 4?

See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_wave for what a pulse wave looks like. The definition of frequency remains the same, it is still how many cycles you get per unit time.
  4. Feb 24, 2007 #3
    so that mean the first question is right!
  5. Feb 24, 2007 #4
    for pulses question it will be:
    period= 4/16=0.25 pulses

frequency= 1/0.25= 4 hz

am i right?
  6. Feb 24, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

Period = 0.25 is correct, but "pulses" is not a unit. You mean "seconds" there, right? :smile:
    The frequency is correct.
  7. Feb 24, 2007 #6
    yep thank you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?