Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves produce oxygen?

1. Dec 22, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    Does wave hit the shore produce oxygen? If so, how and how significant is this amount of oxygen?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Short answer: no.

But I wonder what you are really asking about.

4. Dec 22, 2011 #3
    As Borek said, it won't produce any oxygen. But I'm wondering whether the OP is asking if the concentration of O2 would increase when the wave hits the shore (by mixing some of the oxygen present in the atmosphere). In this case, the answer is yes, since moving waters tend to present a higher percentage of dissolved oxygen than stagnant water.

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/dissolvedoxygen.html

However, this is merely because the water is getting this oxygen from the atmosphere. It's not producing oxygen, it's merely getting it from somewhere else.

5. Dec 24, 2011 #4
    Thanks.
    I was curious about the role of waves in the % of oxygen present in the water. Specifically, between moving waters and still waters.
    So, suppose waves do not exist in oceans. Does it affect the livings under water? (you said wave mix oxygen with water and increase the %).

6. Dec 28, 2011 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I expect that it would have a negligible effect overall. Most of the oxygen in the ocean comes from plant life living in the ocean producing oxygen via photosynthesis.

7. Jan 19, 2012 #6
    First, most of the current O2 on our planet arose from the oceans.

Second, one way O2 is liberated upon coming to shore, as any swimmer knows, the water gets warmer near the shore. This reduces the O2 solubility, and as such, it is possible that water is releasing oxygen due simply to a temperature differential.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook