1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves Question

1. Apr 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a large water tank experiment, water waves are generated with straight, parallel wave fronts, 3.00 m apart. The wave fronts pass through two openings 5.00 m apart in a long board. The end of the tank is 3.00 m beyond the board. Where would you stand, relative to the perpendicular bisector of the line between the openings, if you want to receive little or no wave action?

2. Relevant equations

[P(n)*S(1)] - [P(n)*S(2)] = (n - 1/2)*wavelength

sin ANGLE(n) = (n - 1/2)*wavelength/(distance between sources)

x(n) / L = (n - 1/2) * wavelength / (distance between sources)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the third formula, allowing the n be 1, the wavelength 3.00 m and the distance between the two sources 5.00 m, but i don't know what value i should assign x(n) and L. I don't know if i'm doing the question right. Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

This sounds like 2 slit interference. The points of no wave motion would be the places where the distances from the slits differ by 1/2 wavelength..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?